Springs too stiff!

flatie46

I've been working the bugs outta my CJ5 a little here and there. The next bug that's gotta go is the terribal ride. I know a jeep will always be a little rough and somewhat bouncy but this thing is awful. It's got what I think is a 3" lift in the springs. They are way too stiff, I can jump on the front bumper and it'll hardly move [I'm 270lbs]. Anybody know of a company that makes a set of 3" lift springs that'd give a reasonable ride? Any ideas? Thanks Mark

OME suspensions provide a really nice ride because they are made for the weight of jeeps not light trucks. You can usually get them for different weights depending upon the add ons for your jeep as well. Their prices ate very reasonable as well. I know the full suspension for a TJ is only about $720.

OME suspensions provide a really nice ride because they are made for the weight of jeeps not light trucks. You can usually get them for different weights depending upon the add ons for your jeep as well. Their prices ate very reasonable as well. I know the full suspension for a TJ is only about $720.
Sounds good, it does feel like mine has truck springs. Thanks!

You have many other things to check that could be causing your stiff ride.

-Make sure your shackle bolts spin freely inside the sleeves, they will prevent the springs from compressing if they're seized.
-Check to make sure the shackle bolts are not overtightened, buy nylock nuts for them if necessary so you don't have to overtighten.
-Switch to a softer shock, like from gas-charged to a smooth riding hydraulic shock.
-Remove any thick overload leaves or add-a-leaves used in the spring pack. More thin leaves are better than fewer thick leaves.
-Add weight to the Jeep and articulate the suspension repeatedly by driving at an angle through a ditch, this will help break in the spring packs.

Thanks for the help, gonna check the shackels out. May just unbolt the shocks and see how much they're helping or hurting. Hate to buy springs but if that's what it takes, so be it. I've fixed alot on it, this is a must. I'd say it would hurt it off road, being that it wouldn't flex as well.

Back