Squeaking!!!

mercab18

ok this isn't a huge problem, but i'm about to kill my jeep

since a couple months ago, whenever i drive my jeep between 15-30 mph, something under the car is squeaking. it has nothing to do with performance or comfort, but good god it's really annoying. as i get faster up to about 30 mph, the squeaking becomes more frequent (eventually becoming a pretty consistent screech) and when i go back down to like 10 mph, it is less frequent. whether i put it in drive or neutral, it doesn't stop (which makes me believe it has something to do with the wheels/tires spinning).

i have spoken to 2 mechanics, and both of them have no idea what it is. if anyone has any thoughts about what it could be, i'd be greatly appreciative. thanks for your help.

It's most likely the centering ball in the CV joint of the front driveshaft. Remove the front driveshaft immediately or you risk breaking your transfer case in half, seen it many times.My money is on the squeek going away when you pull the driveshaft.

i'm sorry, but how do i pull out my driveshaft? i'm not an expert mechanic, but i can do the basics. is this a big thing that i have to have someone else do? or can i do this myself?

There are 4 small bolts holding the u-joint straps on the front axle pinion yoke. It's a 5/16in bolts. There are also 4 bolts to the t-case front output flange. Remove those bolts and Walla! the shaft is off.

Were this thread about a YJ, it might be the leaf spring bushings.
Particularly the the pivot ends (opposite from shackles).

Back