Squeling problem

TWoodJeepin

Hey guys so I have a 1998 jeep wrangler and just today I heard a squealing that sounded to be coming from the front end where the tires are, but it only squealed when I accelerated. When I let off the gas or hit the break it stopped until I began to accelerate again. What could this be?

Could be your breaks, the u joint in the axel or the u joint in the front drive shaft. With the engine off and vehicle cool crawl under and twist the axel shaft back and forth looking for play in the u joint. There should be none. Do the same for the driveshaft.

If its a squealing, or ringing sound, there is a little tang that stick out from your brake pads, when your pads ware down to that point the tang will rub against your rotor and squeal letting you know you need new pads soon. May not be your problem but, that's what comes to mind if you say its coming from around the front tires. Could also be a front wheel bearing, I think a u joint would make more of a clunk than a squeal.

Well, not sure how the 98 bearings are put together, I think they are the newer unit bearing (one piece set) type. The older style had two separate bearings and races and were held on with two big nuts, sometimes that nut would back off (not supposed to) and a squeling would be heard from the front tire area, so with you putting new bearings in last week, I would make sure they are tight, then look into the breaks.

Found out the cause. The steel plate that goes over the brake system to prevent dirt, gravel, etc. from flying up in it was bent and catching on the rim of the tire lol I bent it back and whala no more squealing!

Back