stalling... me no like

Joopin

Super Moderator
Today I was driving home from work, I slowed down to make a left turn, and I downshifted into 3rd and started to turn. When i put the clutch in my jeep stalled in the middle of the road with a car coming for me! The last thing I wanted was to get T boned by a neon so fortunatly I was still rolling enough to pop start it from second. It was a close call so I came here to ask if this has happened to anyone.

I tried to make it happen again on the way home which it did... and it seems it only happens when I am slowing down with the RPMs around 10k and as soon as I push in the clutch the needle drops on the tach and stalls in the street. I kept pop starting it with second, but I don't want this to happen again. Any ideas of what it could be? It's a 91 with a 4.0

Oh and this happed once before a couple times but went away so quick I forgot about it.

I would ck the fuel filter and maybe give it a good tune up.

Ya I occasionally have the same problem maybe its the Jersey air ...LOL Just another reason I cant wait to get the V-8 conversion completed

Outta curiosity...how do you pop start a car. I have a standard. Ive never really quite understood exactly how to do it.

You get it rolling... then put it in gear (i do second) and pop the clutch and maybe tap the gas a little to get it goin agian. I have no idea HOW it works though...

YJ Weber Questions--- Fuel Pressue Regulator???

Notice that when "In-Gear" your Jeep will not roll easy, if at all. And while in neutral it will not move forward no matter how much gas you you put to the engine. Now, Imagine, Tires turn and turn the Axle, Axle turns the Differential, Diff turns the Drive shaft, Drive shaft turns the Transfer (in 4x4s) Transfer turns the Transmition. Ok so there we go everything is turning up to the Transmition. Now, throw it into gear and it will turn the Flywheel and the rest of the Engine. The Mechanical nature of the Engine is to take Battery power and fire a couple spark plugs as the Distributer spins thuse sparking the Sparkplugs and BANG!!! the piston fires and forces rotation and on down the Line of the Engine Runninf as intended.

All in all, Use the momentum of the Auto (manual) to force the Engine to turn over. Just like the Old turn bars that were at the front of OLD cars. If you always park on a hill you will never use your Starter :)

Oh yeah, this works even if the battery is dead. :-D since everything is turning (Including the Altenator) you will get fire. If the battery and Alt are good.

Joop...
I've had this happen on my 90 4.2... It could be one of two things

1: CPS -- It's the Crank Position Sensor... will also cause hard starting, or rough idle below 1000RPM

2: Clean your distributor... sometimes the stuff just gets oild up, and the rotor won't spin freely

For me, it was a combo of the CPS and a Carb cleaning, but you have the 4.0 Fuel Injected... so you might want to grab a can or fuel injector throttle body cleaner and apply liberally... I didn't replace the CPS yet, but will do that this weekend...

richsia
[0||||0]

Well this turned out to be an informative post! I have been planning on doing alot of little tune up stuff after I get this lift done... (a little backwards I know) Now I will add to the list... fuel filter, Distributor, wires, coil, plugs... I was gonna do that stuff anyways since I don't know when it has been done last, and it is approaching a year since I got the jeep... Thanks guys...

Oh and L33TJ33P, can a vehicle, be pop started TOO much? does it hurt anything?

L33TJ33P said:
Oh yeah, this works even if the battery is dead. :-D since everything is turning (Including the Altenator) you will get fire. If the battery and Alt are good.

So, if my battery dies, I can just get a friend to start pushing it, hopefully getting it to like 10 mph, then let the clutch out in 2nd and hit the gas and the car could start? What a great thing to know if I am understanding this correctly?

When you pop start the Jeep, the spinning tires/drivetrain are spinning the flywheel. When you turn the ignition key to START, the starter motor is spinning the flywheel. So your basically using the same method to start the engine (through spinning the flywheel). In response to noskils32 question: yes that method would work for a dead battery BUT keep in mind that without power from the battery, most automotive alternators aren't capable of powering the typical load of the vehicle for very long before overheating and burning up!

As for the stalling, I'd be more inclined to check/do:

Clean Throttle Body & IAC passageways
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Idle air control (IAC) motor

Before messing with the Crank Position Sensor. :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

If your battery is dead you need to get it replaced. This will at least get you running to the Store. I Drove my Camaro for 3 months without a working starter. Always parked on a hill. You don't need to be going that fast to make it work. I have actually push-started my own rig. Holding onto the door and the steering wheel and pushing then Jump in hold the clutch put it in second release the clutch and re-engage it quickly and hit the gas VROOM!!!!!!!

Back