State Laws

odjeep

Slave cylinder

A couple of years ago, me and my brother were out mudding on an old logging road in south central PA and we got stopped by the DCNR. He fined us of course and I asked him if pa has any designated areas for offroading and he said that only mountain roads that we can travel on are the improved dirt roads, the ones that have the reg signs at the intersections. It got me thinking, are there any states in the eastern US that allow offroading? I'm tired of looking over my shoulder every time i leave the pavement.

od

Yes there is, it's called The Jersey Pine Barrens, or Paragon in Hazelton, and the newest one is Raush Creek, near Tower City.

Here is a Pine Barren pic for ya, thats where I wheel "legally"

image-missing.png

Hey Glass, where in Jersey are the Barrens? I live in central Jersey and I gotta get there in the spring sometime. Let me know next time your going.

Small Jeeps

What about Maryland and Northern Virginia?

od

Help with Sully's ARBs

new JP magazine has a bunch of state trail park places...pine barrens and paragon is the only places they show on the east coast. never been to pine barrens but head'n soon

odjeep said:
What about Maryland and Northern Virginia?

od

Greenridge State Forest (Maryland) has an 18 mile ORV trail. No special permit needed, just a licenced (tagged) vehicle. It should be relatively close to where you are. I rode a very short section of the trail while hunting this year and it looks like a decent trail with rocks, mud, hills, etc. I was told by a Ranger that any of the harder stuff has bypasses for stockers. Check it out sometime, weekdays are best because there's less chance of seeing dirtbikes and ATV's.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/greenridge.html

Whattya think - A Jeepz ride@Greenridge?

Sounds good to me. Thanks a lot everybody for the info.

od

Whattya think - A Jeepz ride@Greenridge?

Twisted, I like. How far do you think this forest is from lower maryland? I' have been thinking a day trip to some of hte places I've seen the Marylanders ride would be a good Idea. I've got nothing but sand down here and lots of it. lol

Is this the place that phatyaspen and the others ride at? I saw a few pics one time.....

Just wondering. Thanks.
Lady

A jeepz ride at Greenridge would be awesome.
I havent been wheeling in quite a while since i got activated.

od

automatic headlight wiring

JoeJeepNY- maybe check state websites for links to parks, etc?

Lady, Od, and anybody else interested - If I had to take a rough guess, it would probably take around 4 hours from Salisbury to Greenridge (not sure exactly where you are). Maybe do a Mapquest or an Expedia search?

28700 Headquarters Dr, NE
Flintstone, MD 21530-9525

too far for a daytrip?

It's 20 min from Hancock, MD where there is civilization (hotels, resturaunts, etc) if you guys want to make it a 2 day ride or if you just decide to crash and head home the next morning.
Or, there are campsites along the trail. Check the website for camping info.

I don't think the folks you mentioned have ever been there, they usually go locally on private land, but I would bet they would be up for it!

I'll take a look at my work schedule and pm a few of you and if we can come up with a day (or two) I'll put it in the events forum.

joejeepny said:
I have been trying to visit the pine barrons. Anyone have information on what sections are legal to orv's

technically, its not legal anywhere that is private or state owned, but if you're not tearing the place up nobody bothers with you. much of the pine barrens is unmarked and free reign, you just need to know where you are going ( a GPS helps) and you're good to go, mostly pine sand and water holes with the occasional gravel pit.

I live just outside the pines, so if anyone is interested in a ride out there, let me know, i'm more than happy to go.... The pines is a good place to go for a nice trail ride. If you ride with me, i am a firm believer in tread lightly.. keep it open for everyone to enjoy.

Twisted,

I checked and your right its about 4hrs 15 mins from me. That is a long day trip. lol Geez I didn't know MD was so big. Well I'd love to do a weekend run sometime, but I can't until after March. I am preparing for my vacation now, in 60 days. I am working 24/7 because I just moved the first of the year to my own place and now the vacation is upon me. BUT if ya'll plan somethime just send me pics and tell me all about it! I'll go next time or something!

Thanks for the information, I do appreicate it!~
Lady

LadyJeepFreak said:
Twisted,

I checked and your right its about 4hrs 15 mins from me. That is a long day trip. lol Geez I didn't know MD was so big. Well I'd love to do a weekend run sometime, but I can't until after March.

It's a State forest, it's not going anywhere!

graewulf said:
joejeepny said:
I have been trying to visit the pine barrons. Anyone have information on what sections are legal to orv's

technically, its not legal anywhere that is private or state owned
Hey there was a writeup in either JP or 4Wheel and Off Road (latest issue) about privately owned ORV parks in the US, and one of them was in NJ. I forget the name of it, but it said it is in the Pine Barrons. My magazines are at work, but maybe somebody else has the info?

Back