Steering too easy on TJ

Body lift about 2". Those wheels are actually 3.25 bs. The 33s were on 15x10s i believe those were in bad shape. No spacers. So the caster reduces with susp lift only not BL? I mean if thats the case and springs are close to stock height, whether theyre old and weak or just stock height, not sure where the caster would be coming from.

Caster reduces with suspension lift. You are correct stock springs or a tired lift springs they are at stock height. Given there are no thick spacers on the springs (called budget Lift or budget boost. See pic) you should be at stock caster of app 7 deg. I don't know where the change in caster would be from. Shorter lower control arms or longer uppers.

REMain-1.jpg

Last edited:

Wait, so thats a third type of lift that can add inches to total height in addition to people having suspension and BL? I think i might have those spacers thought they were just stops i have to look closer one looked cracked now i hope its not a lift lol. As for the steering having a valve put on to control PS softness, fingers crossed.

Yes they are spacers the spring sits on. A cheap way to get up to 2.5 in lift.

A valve? hmm they didn't find anything wrong?

Last edited:
So heres an update. It wasnt a 4x4 shop dont have one close by but they do a lot of work on wranglers. They didnt see damage or missing steering components. Offered to try a different pump but that would add up dollar wise.

Last edited:

Interested. I never saw one of these before. I would think a tap off the high side through s needle valve back to the reservoir would be the same.i bet a pressure regulator is what they were hoping for. Anyway, interesting!

What did they saw about alignment? Caster or scrub radius???

I'm wondering about the pulley size.

That would be amusing if the pulley was simply changed but from what i understand it would have to be really small and its large. Played around with the valve adjustments and at one extreme (bolt in) its as originally incredibly easy to turn. When fully in, steering wheel barely turns at crawling speed, was afraid of going over 30 as it goes from stiff to dead spots with no reaction just steering wheel movement. I wonder how it can work in some cars and not others. I'll have to figure out who does a

Cant seem to find stock pulley diameter but i assume going larger than that will have adverse effects on other items on same belt if it fits in space and belt will adjust enough. Btw anyone know if any pulley puller fits without removing pump?

Your caster is 4.8 left and 5.4 right, seems like a large difference from one side to the other. I'm guessing you have a budget boost since someone went through the trouble of installing aftermarket adjustable swaybar links. If so, you should be closer to 7 degrees caster. You likely need adjustable caster bolts for the axle end of the lower control arms. They're about $30 a pair and need to be adjusted to push the bottom of the front axle as far forward as possible. Again, assuming you have the 2" coil spacers above your stock coils.

Back