straight 6 exhaust??

robo83

i have a straight 6 in my jeep and want to make the exhaust louder, what are some ways of doing this that wont hurt my wallet to much?

louder?
cut of the muffler buy like a cherry bomb turbo muffler,clamp it on. done deal.
i've change the exhaust several times on my four banger. my friends think i have an 8. i just laugh. i advise against going to loud. i cant have a conversation on the freeway and barely hear my music. but i love the sound of it. they have thm at like kragens

I have a Banks header 2.5 " pipe no cat and cherry bomb glasspack can hardly hear stock stereo kinda sounds like a farm tractor

Ha ha ha. I had a Cherry Bomb Turbo on an old car more than a decade ago! They still sell 'em... and they're just the same. They definately make a 4 cyl sound throaty. I've seen them online for as low as $25.

If you want "loud", simply swapping out the muffler is going to be the first place to start... shy of just cutting stuff off.

I will tell you though, I've read many, many people on this board say that exhaust systems don't do much for the 6 cyl. I could go on and on about the intake, exhaust, and motor mods my straight 6 TJ has... but it doesn't sound agressive at all. It makes a little noise, but there's just something about this motor that doesn't "sound mean".

For a minimal investment, try it out. See if you like it. Keep your stock one hanging around, though. In my opinion, there's better things to spend your dollars on.

-X

thats what i was try to remember!
i advise against the glass packs. i had two left over from my 64 ranchero and put one on my jeep sounds AWESOME at idle. but it blew out my ear drum on the freeway

i have an old cat that i knocked all the inside out of and i want to put it on there to see what it sounds like. but i have to wait for my dad to help me out with it due to my lack of expirience. cause when i take the skid plate off, the transmission want to fall so i have to prop it up and its kinda hard for me to do by myself

its a belly up skid plate so its REALLY tight in there and there would be no way for me to get the old cat out and the new one in without moving the skid. and i would cut it all off and glass pack it but i still have to pass emisions.

i just want somethin that will sound good, not be extremely loud, but have a little rumble to it.
seriously it sounds awesome i'll post it on u tube then here and mine is a 4 banger.

Last edited:
i have a thrush muffler on it which is basically the same as a flowmaster or a magnaflow. or at least thats what i was told when i was buying the muffler.

i have a thrush muffler on it which is basically the same as a flowmaster or a magnaflow. or at least thats what i was told when i was buying the muffler.
WHAT?! Who ever told u that lied through their teeth there is, no glass pack or filler in flowmaster's mufflers. The sound they give off will b the same when u bought as it will when u put 100,000 miles on it. and the heavy guage steel they use will last a very long time. its worth the money. Well I think so.

i dont think theres any fillers or glass pack in the thrush i have, i think its just the cat that makes it so quiet.

ok so i was wrong they dont have glass pack unless u get the glass pack one sorry. stilll like my flowmaster. it sounds awesome.

i have no clue what it is, but im gonna start with takin the old cat out and basically straight piping it back with a gutted cat and see what theat does. and if that doesnt do anything ill get a flowmaster or a magna flow from my uncle. hopefully the gutted cat will make it louder.

Back