Suspension decisions. Please Help.

leapinjeep

I am a new member and am somewhat new to Jeeps. I saved up and bought a '92 yj in great shape and I love it. So far I have changed out the fluids with Redline, put a bikini top on it, replaced the headlights with an H-4 kit, and now have 245 75 16 Goodyear MTRs (equates to about 31's) on Rubicon rims. This week I am going to lift it and have been doing a bit of searching and have decided to go with one of 2 companies. BDS offers a 2" suspension lift with a great waranty. Of this company I have heard great and bad things about. People either sing it praises or curse it. One of the things people say is that the springs settle and sag in a short period of time while others say that it gives a crapy ride due to the thick leaf springs. These comments seem contrary. I just want to know the real skinny on this company.
The other company is Black Diamond Suspension with a 1.5" lift. Of this company I have not heard much. Please help me figure out which of these two companys are best for me. I spend most my time on the road either cruising, vacationing, or going to work, however I go to offroad vehicle parks about twice a month. What do you think?

I had a bds kit on a 92 YJ, it was the 3.5" kit. It never sagged, flexed like a champ, and rode great. I'd buy another one in a hearbeat.

4 Wheel Drive hardware makes a fantastic, well priced YJ lift. I would have a hard time sepending the money on a lift kit that gave me 1.5" of height. YJ's are low to begin with, you should reasearch 2.5" kits. A 2.5" kit would work well with your new 31" tires.

Re: Suspension decisions. Please Help

you should really check out rubi express. that is what im gonna get.

I wouldn't waste the money they want for a 1.5" or 2.5" lift when you can achieve the same thing for a ton less money. Consider a full-length add-a-leaf, or TJ fender flares, or a 1" body lift. Even better is a combination of any or all of the above to clear up to 33" tires on the cheap.

If you're going to spend big bucks on a lift, get a 4.5" Rubicon Express kit.

I have a TJ, so I'm no help. But I have been around Jeepz for a while, and I suggest you listen to Bounty and TC............that's my way of helping.:roll:

leapinjeep, welcom to Jeepz. There are many Jeep educated people here, I am not one of them. I do have a BDS 3 in lift on my TJ and it's great. I have a 3 in Procomp on my XJ and even with Skyjacker springs you feel every pebble on the road. Take Care, KJ

KrazyJeeper said:
leapinjeep, welcom to Jeepz. There are many Jeep educated people here, I am not one of them. I do have a BDS 3 in lift on my TJ and it's great. I have a 3 in Procomp on my XJ and even with Skyjacker springs you feel every pebble on the road. Take Care, KJ

You've got a TJ and an XJ and both of them are lifted????? Sorry, I gotta disagree.......you're educated, just maybe not so much as others. Oh, and leapinjeep.............welcome the the "Z"!!!!!!!!

Bounty__Hunter said:
I wouldn't waste the money they want for a 1.5" or 2.5" lift when you can achieve the same thing for a ton less money. Consider a full-length add-a-leaf, or TJ fender flares, or a 1" body lift. Even better is a combination of any or all of the above to clear up to 33" tires on the cheap.

If you're going to spend big bucks on a lift, get a 4.5" Rubicon Express kit.

Do you gain any useful flex from an AAL?

I merged the two posts into one FYI... Thanks Twisted.

As for my opinion, I know Rubicon Express makes a quality lift. I have gone the AAL route and I will never do it again. I did research on which AAL to get and the best seemed to be made by Rancho. I'm sure it is still the best AAL but the ride is really stiff now. And I will be going to RE soon and tossing the AAL packs. My 2 cents. Welcome!

Bounty and TC are right. rubicon express is a great lift, but with TJ flares, body lift or an add a leaf, you can have stock or near stock ride and flex for a lot less money. i heard from some others on this forum that you can get some stock YJ springs, from the junkyard or somewhere, take off the main leaf, cutt off the spring eyes and use it as a full length add a leaf. Hope we all can help ya and by the way, welcome to the greatest jeep site on the web.

Bounty and tc do know what there talking about take there advice.

I'm glad my opinion is worth so much, I only have Add A Leafs on all four spring packs on my YJ... should give me some say in how crappy they are when compared to new spring packs. But you could learn the hard way like I did since Bounty and TC know so much about it. Just remember, there is a right way and a cheap way... if you do it the cheap way, you will pay again to do it the right way... such is life!

Joopin said:
I'm glad my opinion is worth so much, I only have Add A Leafs on all four spring packs on my YJ... should give me some say in how crappy they are when compared to new spring packs. But you could learn the hard way like I did since Bounty and TC know so much about it. Just remember, there is a right way and a cheap way... if you do it the cheap way, you will pay again to do it the right way... such is life!
I never suggested AAL's. I have them on my XJ and they are sagged terribly. They didn't ride too bad but the flex was poor. In a nutshell they suck and I would never go that route again either.

My vote would be for a full SUA lift. Again, I think either BDS or Rubicon Express would be excellent choices. If you have the $$$ the RE 2.5 Extreme Duty kit is an awesome suspension.

mud4feet said:
I have a TJ, so I'm no help. But I have been around Jeepz for a while, and I suggest you listen to Bounty and TC............that's my way of helping.:roll:

Might want to listen to Joopin, too!! :oops: Just don't listen to a TJ owner......we've got the nasty dash and the car suspension.:lol: :lol:

like i said before about rubicon express, is that it is puts out some good products. but if you cant afford it, there are some other ways to gain minimal tire clearance without breaking the bank. like tj flares or a small body lift. i know that add a leak kits do stiffin the ride and flex, but i heard a full length add a leaf made from a stock spring does not do it as bad. im not 100% sure about my add a leaf knowledge but i am 100% sure Joopin knows what he is talking about as well as Bounty and TwistedCopper.

yeah twisted convinced me to get spring packs instead of AAL, id tell you how they were, but my last spring pack hasent been delivered yet (stupid ups...)

Back