sway bar end link headache

Cabin_Guy

Both my sway bar end links are broken.
I got the end link off ok but I can’t get the damn part off the sway bar, you know, the little thing with the ball on the end. I took the nut off it, put on penetrating oil, beat on it, tried a gear puller on it, tried twisting it around with vice grips to loosen it up ( won’t move at all)and it just won’t come off. I'm assuming it's pressed in, is it threaded in?
Any suggestions?
It's a 2005 Unlimited

I used a pickle fork to pull mine off. It's the one that looks like a U below - you may be able to borrow / rent it from your local parts store, but it's one of the tools that I keep finding uses for. I just pulled down the rubber boot, and tapped it into place until the link popped off. It's pressed in, now threaded.

BTW - are you upgrading to disconnects?

Attachments

• DSCF0236-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    DSCF0236-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 3,265
  • DSCF0238-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    DSCF0238-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 3,833
  • DSCF0239-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    DSCF0239-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0240-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    DSCF0240-tj-swabar-disconnect.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 747
  • quicker_disconnects_2-tj-swabar-disconnect.jpg
    quicker_disconnects_2-tj-swabar-disconnect.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 437
Great idea! Thanks Terry!
No, I'm not going with disconnects, the worst abuse my Jeep ( daily driver) sees is a lot of snow in winter and about 20 miles a day of dirt road, no rock climbing or anything extreem enough to justify the cost of disconnects.

p.s. the broken ones I have are stock, the dude at NAPA says his are a little tougher, a better design and can be lubricated, I like when you can lubricate stuff that moves :)
They are about $57 each ( Canadian)

Back