Sway bar

jerms14

I have installed the front and rear leaf springs and shocks Rough Country 4" lift on my 1977 CJ5. I have left sway bar extentions. I have drums and power steering. The photo with the install instructions show discs. Am I supposed to have a sway bar? What benefit would it serve? Can I order one with drums? The whole reason I went with a lift kit was because I had some POS shackle lift. I'm gonna start a new thread with pics reagarding that. But, should I be concerned about not having a sway bar on a manual transmission, power steering 1977 CJ5?

Well, some will say yes and others no. From my personal experience, I put a 4" BDS lift on a 79 cj7 and I had left the sway bar on, after about a year I took it off and really didn't notice a difference. sway bars will lessen body lean around corners, and make the jeep feel a bit more stable on road. Off road, sway bars will limit suspension movement, they do make sway bar disconnects for off roading but I think they are a pain which is why I took mine off. Some jeeps from the 70,s seem to have sway bars and others do not. Install your lift, get an alignment, and drive it, if you think it has too much corner lean you can get a sway bar for it. about the drums or dics, I don't think it really matters, but I cant remember where the sway bar attaches to at the axle side so don't hold me to that, but I think it go,s to the spring plate, and if so I see no reason why drums or discs would make a difference. Good move getting rid of the shackle lift though!

Not sure what your concerns are with a sway bar and having manual trans, drum brakes or power steering?

Sway bar simply reduces body roll when cornering. Drive with out, if you do not feel comfortable, install one. Any leaf srpung jeep I have ever owned, the sway bar and trac bars were always the first to go (you do not have trac bar on your CJ so don't worry about that)

Back