SYE kit info

jeepin916

found a slip yolk eliminator kit from RE where u hack ur original out put shaft and tap it to mount the fixed yolk, does anyone have this set up? is it good? reliable? whats up with this its 80 bucks while the other kit with a new output shaft is like 300 bucks, all opinions on this will help thanks all

It's $80 for '97 and newer Jeeps, $200 for all others.

It's commonly known as the 'hack and tap' SYE. You'll find a lot of people who talk bad about it, saying it's weak and not the correct way to do a SYE. These same people likely spent WAY too much for a SYE with a replacement shaft and can not prove nor provide a pic of a broken H&T SYE. Maybe it makes them feel better about spending so much $$ :roll:

I've researched this, and it's been covered in length on other boards, there is nothing wrong with using the hack and tap SYE. They don't break under most average wheelin conditions. It's a great alternative to the high priced SYE kits on the market.

I'll be going this route with a CV front shaft from a TJ or XJ.

i'm eventually going with the hack and tap method as soon as i can find a short housing... i've looked into it as well... and if you think of it... the shortened shaft would be able to handle more torque than it would when left at a stock length... which by the way, you hardly to never hear of breaking

I was originally going to perform this on my YJ, Have a bridgeport at a friends shop and everything, but I will admit I checkd out all my options and I came to the conclusion that I liked the larger output shaft of the AA unit, also I liked the ease of having it all in a kit! I did not like the prive though! What can you do? Had my SYE installed in about 3 hours, and left the T-case in the jeep. (was originally gonna remove but felt it was not neccessary.)

Why the need for the larger shaft? Do the stock ones break? Does the need justify the expense?

I came across a mainshaft and tailhousing from a TJ, so I can use the tailhousing on my YJ and use the $80 H&T. Plus I've got a spare shaft to boot. Maybe I'll use it for a winch anchor :wink:

hmmm sounds good i might go with the H&T SYE it didnt look that bad to me and i figure its going to hold up the same with the original shaft, im not sending 800 FtLb of torque thru the drive line so i dont need to worry about it i guess.. thanks everyone

I haven't done mine yet, but from looking at the two it looks like the TJ tailshaft housing will bolt right up to the YJ case.

well there the same between the YJ and the TJ there both NP231's unless u got an early wrangler with the NP207 or 209 or some other t-case

I know it's the same 231 that's in a TJ, but the tailshaft housings are different between the two. That's what we're talking about.

its gonna be tough finding a housing from a tj around here.. every TJ here is used by a suit wearing, briefcase carrying, choked by necktie pansy

i'd love to find a deal like that... but... once again... there are no TJ enthusiests here... anyone that knows anything about a jeep either drives a cj, or me

Back