t-case drop question

jeeperjoe

well, i got my lift RE 3.5". its been sitting in my living room for 2 weeks now. i think its going in tommorow and maybe the next day if i slack. but i havent got a tcase drop yet. i am wondering how much i should drop it. i was thinking 1", but i may not need that much. what i am really wondering about is the axle shims. does anyone know what degree shims i would need for a 1/2"?? or do i have to use one of those angle finder thingys? the directions say a 2 degree shim is needed, but it doesnt say how much the tcase should go down.

so it all comes down to ...where does everyone think i should start. im thinking a 1/2" drop and 2 degree shims. is this combo pheasable?

i dont know answers to any of those questions, but if you're doing it tomorrow, need any help?

The Skyjacker drop kit I bought from Quadratec is a 1.5" drop. That is for 3-4" of lift so Skyjacker claims.

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2003030421354994

That kit is designed so you don't have to remove the studs, which can be simple or a PITA.

I'm not doing shims, 'cause I'm adding a lift shackle which will help the angle out. As a matter of fact combined with a 1 1/2" drop it may be too much Damn I didn't think of that before :?

I think a 1" drop and 2 degrees would be a good guess, but it seems there is no standard from what I've read. Folks will tell you they have no vibes with no extra mods to others saying they tried it all and had vibes until they did an SYE.

Keep us informed on how it works out.

thanks for the input, im do the lift and see whether its bad or not, i'll probably go with a 2 degree shim to start. does anyone know if i can stack shims??

thanks for the offer siminsez, i'll be here all day if you wanna swing by. i know i'll need some help to bleed the brakes, but laura will be back in a few hours if you cant make it.

Don't stack shims, and use only steel shims. The aluminum shims will break.

What year XJ is this lift going in to?

1.5" seems like a lot of drop, I can't see you needing more than 1", and even less if your XJ is pre'97.

its a '00. i dont plan on going more than 1" and the shims will definitely be steel. if it needs more than that, i'll do an SYE. thanx bounty

I think I can help you with this. After i put in my RE 3.5 it took me about a month to get everything working straight. First i have a 98 cherokee sport. After the lift went in a test drive showed massive vibrations like i lost all my fillings. Then i put in 2 degree axel shims(steel), still could mix paint when going down the road. I then try a home made 1/2" drop which worked but at 90 to 105KM/H it shook bad. Then i put in a 1" TCL kit from skyjacker. Every thing was sweet at that point, put somebody decided to put a rock in the trail and well it and my crossmember got into a disagreement and the rock won. So the only thing i could find is a crossmember out of a 99, they are the same except that the 99 is about a 1/4" thicker so it really changed it to a 3/4" drop. So long story short use 2 degree shims and if you can make yourself a 3/4" drop use that.

thanks, i am ordering the shims tonight. im gonna figure out a TCL kit before i get the shims, hopefully.

i acutally just finished the lift. the vibes arent too bad. they stop ata bout 35 MPH. which wont make the commute too bad, and thankfully i dont gotta get on the highway. i wont have my tires until the middle of the week too.

I'd try a .5" TC drop, it worked on our '98 XJ at 3" of lift. Use as little TC drop as possible so you're not giving up more clearance than necessary.

i went with a 3/4" drop. helped a little, but i havent shimmed the axle yet. i'm gonna get some 2 dergree shims today. hopefully that will do the trick. i'll take some pics later. and post them under a new topic, i just called my tire shop and they messed up the order an i wont have them til monday.

ok, i was waiting til i got the tires on. i will take some pics tommorow.

so i'm gonna take out the drop. i ordered a SYE + driveshaft. they will be here next thursday. the vibes are to a minimum, but the shaft binds pretty good.

Back