Tach Problems still?

60 Biscayne

Here's the facts of the story:
* Installed a Complete 2004 Wranggler 4.0 engine, Trans, t-case, computer & engine wiring harness into my 89 Wrangler.
* Speedo won't work because its cable driven & not electronic!
* Purchased a 1994 YJ Speedometer / Tachometer Cluster complete with flexible circuit. Tach Didn't work! Speedo unknown couldn't drive vehicle....
* Got another Tach head from a 95 along with its flexible circuit card. Before trying it this time: A) I used a continuity tester to check the flex card circuits to make sure there were no breaks. B) I traced each circuit on the flex card and identified which wire & color it was at the connector. C) I revisited for the 73rd time the 2003 Shop Manual Wiring schematic and identified which wires go to the tachometer.
Hook it up using the correct wires and it isn't working properly. At an idle, the reading is low and its bounceing around - it doesn't respond when accelerated etc....
Back to the 2003 Shop Manual:
The wire called out is like violet and Yellow which I now believe supplies a signal to the entire 2003 instrument cluster which probably has its own peculiar way of picking up the signal thus a 1994 cluster doesn't work with the info coming out of the 2004 PCM etc............
So I have to get a 2004 type of a cluster - What do you think?
I'm trying to buy a 2002 Wrangler parts vehicle which a freind of my buddy has for sale & if I get it that will give me the 2002 cluster & dash wiring harness etc......... The 2002 was a 4 cyl standard shift I hope that it will work with my 6 cyl auto................... If I get this 2002 I'll be taking orders for who needs what! My daughter already wants the soft top for her '97.

Back