tailpipe replacement

n0madic

ok, another problem... so apparently the track bar needs to be removed before you can remove the tailpipe on a yj. the haynes manual says that you should jack the vehicle before doing this, do I have to? I'm having a really hard time getting the bolts that hold the track bar in place off, have tried liquid wrench, etc to no avail. Is there a trick to this? Never thought that replacing the exhaust would be such an operation.

RE: Pop

This a YJ? You don't have to jack the vehicle to do this. Cut the bolts off if you can't remove them. Good friend of mine went as far as just cutting off each end of the track bar, the ends are still attached to the jeep :shock: If it's a YJ just leave the rear track bar off. You'll get more axle articulation and notice no difference in handling onroad.

RE: 302 in YJ

On BBJ, we just ended up cutting the track bar at the ends. Both ends are still there as well. I agree with Bounty, just cut it off and leave it off.

I have been thinking about this one too... If you do remove the tracbar, the lower mount MIGHT be a good bracket to work in some sort of home brew anti-wrap device

RE: Re: RE: Gas tank size question answered

I never removed my track bar to remove my exhaust, granted most of it was falling off. but when I put the new exhaust on, took some modifications to a "bolt on system" but never removed anything from the vehicle

Thanks to everyone for posting replies. This forum has been very helpful. The Sawzall's on the way! Might work on setting up an anti-wrap device when I do SOA. I've got some engine upgrades to do first.

RE: where can I find these FSJ rims!!

I had to remove mine for the exhaust. No big deal, take it off and leave it off.

A persuader in the shape off a pipe will help :wink:

2002 Chevy Avalanche FS!!!.....

Ok, so before I go through with this and cut the thing off clue me in a little bit about what it is that the trackbar does. My understanding is that it maintains the positioning of the axle under the frame. Bounty says that there will be no change in on road handling and better articulation off road. Is there any benefit of keeping the trackbar in place? What are the cons in removing it? Will I need to change my driving style on road?

RE: Re: RE: Picture please of this!!!

Your driving style should be that your driving a jeep, not a sports car, so you should be fine regardless of mods ;)

The purpose of the rear track bar (panhard bar) is to prevent side to side movement of the axle. The rear axle tracks very straight while moving forward because it trails behind solid spring hangers on the frame. The front track bar, on the other hand, is more important as the axle tracks behind shackles which allow a lot of side to side movement to be introduced to the axle (not to mention the steering pushing the front axle side to side).

RE: lockers on a YJ

ok, so by that logic, the rear trackbar is a much more important component on a TJ, correct?

Re: RE: winches

here's my question. what type of anti wrap drvice could be made on this mount for the track bar? i'm interested. if i dont change the d35 out of it i will be doing the SOA on it and an anti wrap device would be nice. so how would i make it ? thanks for listening
oh and sorry to steal the thread.

RE: new

Nope slo, i'd be interested in talking about the anti-wrap device too, 'cause I am in the same boat. If anyone comes up with a design that works this way, and ends up fabricating some, i'd be interested in buying one.

Back