Teenager pinned under vehicle uses jack to free himself

L33TJ33P

As seen on CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/09/trapped.driver.ap/index.html

Teenager pinned under vehicle uses jack to free himself
Thursday, October 9, 2003 Posted: 11:37 AM EDT (1537 GMT)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- An 18-year-old former wrestler whose leg became pinned under his overturned Jeep managed to reach a car jack, ratchet up the vehicle and free himself.

As college freshman Clancy Wright lay trapped last week, he said he thought of the climber whose arm had been pinned by a boulder last spring.

"I didn't want to cut my leg off like the guy who cut off his arm," Wright said.

Wright was driving alone October 2 at a popular off-road area near Minersville, about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, when his Jeep rolled, pinning his left leg under a corner of the windshield and part of a roll bar.

He was able to reach a jack in the vehicle.

He said he tried three times to find the right placement for it under the roll bar. Wright, who wrestled as a heavyweight last year in high school and took fifth place in his division, eventually was able to lift the Jeep.

"As the pressure released, I could feel the blood rush out of the leg," he told The Salt Lake Tribune in Thursday's editions.

The skin, muscle and tissue in his left calf, from the knee to the ankle, was torn from his leg bones, which were completely exposed but not broken, he said.

Wright said he wrapped the leg with his T-shirt, and a passing rider found him shortly afterward and summoned an ambulance. He underwent surgery and was sent home the next day.

"They told me to go home, lay on the couch, put your foot up and pray," Wright said.

Wright said he has feeling in his leg and can wiggle his toes.

"Maybe this will slow him down a little," his father, Chris Wright, said.

Climber Aron Ralston of Aspen, Colorado, was hiking alone in southeastern Utah on April 26 when his right arm became pinned beneath an 800-pound boulder. He freed himself on the fifth day by snapping his bones and using a knife to cut through his arm.

This friends is why you take someone with you.

Holy crap. That guy's a man! :shock:

Man that guy was lucky lucky lucky. Did I say lucky? I'll bet he takes someone with him next time.

I thought it was funny what his dad said.

CNN said:
Wright was driving alone October 2 at a popular off-road area near Minersville, about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, when his Jeep rolled, pinning his left leg under a corner of the windshield and part of a roll bar.

Exactly what came to my mind. Glad he's okay, but everybody should learn from this lesson and spread the word.

I am guilty of wheeling alone. However, I stick to things that will not roll me over or get me stuck. When in doubt . . . back it out.

The story was on the local news last night. I guess he messed his leg up pretty bad. They said he may have saved his life and definatly saved his leg by getting himself out.

I have wheeled alone but never did anything serious. That's why I joined a 4wd club, to have someone to wheel with.

How about the poor guy trapped under the boulder......Could you cut off your own arm??????

Back