Temperature question

geopig

Just a quick question. Recently I upgraded to 31's on my 4 banger YJ. Since then, I've noticed at highway speeds (>60 mph) I'm running slightly hotter than previously. Before I would rarely get above 210° even at higher speeds but now its up not quite 10°. This past weekend I did an oil change and flushed the coolant system but I'm still getting up to ~220° at high speeds.

So is this normal? Anyone else experience this? I figure it is because the engine is working harder at high speed because of the new tires. But I just want to make sure.

Cheers!

210º is normal, it shouldn't have increased with the increase in tire size. It's possible you have another problem, maybe the fan clutch is going out.

I run 33" with a relatively stock 4banger setup and run 210º consistently.

Snitty said:
try an electric fan... you'll be happy with every result it provides

Ditto that! :wink:

I didn't have any increase in temp in my 4-banger YJ when I went to 31's, either. That shouldn't have any effect on the temp.

I was thinking about the electric fan after your recent write up on it Sparky. My temp issue is a bit interesting. Since I've flushed it and put in the Water Wetter product at city driving speeds <50 mph my temp is actually pretty low, fluctuating in the 200°-210° range. It used to be constantly at 210° regardless of speed. I have a long highway trip next week so I'm going to see how things are on a longer trip. But I may go with the electric fan anyhow, although the kit is a bit pricey for me at this stage. Thanks for the info though.

INTERSHIP / Co-op ... oil field

I'm sure you'll be happy with an electric fan, whether you go with the kit or do the Taurus thing. As for me not being very mechanically gifted, I was happy to spend the extra $$ for the easy-to-install kit....no muss, no fuss!!

Back