TFI upgrade Q's

GaryMB

RE: Very cold starting

So today when i was cleaning out my carter's idle venturies I decided to do a TFI swap. I picked up the parts at kragens and installed them today minus a coil to distributor wire I forgot to buy, and am wondering if I should plan on adjusting the timing when I fire it up tomorrow or if it will not need to be adjusted. Aslo, does the Ford TFI require a constant 12volts like the GM HEI? I already have a constant 12volts going the coil anyway from when the previous owner installed an HEI. Also, the coil the guy behind the counter got for me is the same shape as the original CJ coil (does not look like an HEI coil like in the "how to" section here) and has "electronic ignition" printed on the side. Is this coil OK to use, or do I need a different one?

hmmm, lotta questions lemme see if I can help.
1)I bumped timing 1-2 degrees worked fine for me.
2) I ran pig-tails to the old wires that attached to coil, has worked fine, whether they are getting 1 or 12 is a moot point to me since it works, but to find out I will read them with my mutimeter if I can find it :(
3)I would get a TFI style coil, I also carry a spare in case vibration ect. damages original .

-D-

Alright, so the timing will be pretty close; good to know. As for the coil, It's nice how it looks stock which may help it pass smog, so if possible I'd like to keep it...but not if it will underperform a tfi style coil. Anyone know the voltage output of Niehoff part number FF175 ignition coil for a 1982 Ford F-150 with 4.9L 6 cylinder Engine? It also has the number PT225 on the box which I'm guessing is the kragens part number.

RE: Tie rod woahs

I did this swap a year ago. First, the guy at Autozone gave me a coil that looked exactly like the old stock one and not like the pictures, just like you describe. I was pretty sure it was the wrong coil... I gave him the other cross ref numbers on the page and got one that looked like the pictures. So, I think some of the info in the write-up may be off. Not sure. Second, I had a constant 12V going to it b/c I didn't know it was ballast wire (never heard of it) and cut it out because it was 25 years old and in bad shape. I replaced it with normal wire. One day a few months later, it wouldn't start. Changing the coil fixed the problem, and folks on here told me that was to be expected b/c its only supposed to get 9V or so. Maybe I just had a bad coil, but I'd avoid putting 12V on it.

OK, I just bought a tfi coil today at kragens for a 1989 f-150. I went to pep boys afterwards to get a coil wire, and saw an msd coil for a gm hei for the same price that i paid for the oem ford tfi coil. Is it worth my time to return the stock tfi coil and buy the msd?

that is what I was going to suggest. You can definately run 12v to a blaster or similiar coil, and it will remain in the stocklocation. I left my stock coil on the engine and put the TFI coil on the fender. If my TFI coil quits I can just hook the stock coil up and it will get me home. If I were to do it again I would buy the blaster and put it where the stock coil goes, and carry the original coil as a spare.

Back