the best years for cherokees?

Hello all, I am trying to sell my Jeep m-715 and get somthing a little more economical and was really thinking about a cherokee. I dont know much about Cherokees, is there a certian year to stay away from? is there a certain year that is better? i was reading in the Four Wheeler magazine and they said that the 93-95 models were the best with better wiring, a higher output I-6, and frame reinforcements. It also said that the I-6's have overheating issues? Is this a tough problem to fix? Are there any other quirks or common problems i should be aware of? I am looking to build it up a little for some off-road use, but would still like to be able to take it cross-country if needed.

Thanks,
Brian

I bought a 99 Cherokee because everyone said they were real reliable...and have HP Dana 30 and 29 spline 8.25 rear. Also the intake manifolds are 0630( non cracking). So pm me about your 715!

sorry SoCalcj7, i can't pm until i have at least 10 posts... but if you want to know about the 715, you can go to nh.craigslist.org/cto/1293099363.html to see it.

-Brian

The newer XJ body style starts in 1997, however they use the same wheels and some of the same parts still from the 96 and older. I would think a 98 or 99 would be all new bodystyle parts. My 96 and other XJ's of its bodystyle seem to have pretty bad rear leaf sag. The newer bodystyles seem better but that could also be because they're newer. Either way when they start to sag it's time to lift!

I have a basic Grand Cherokee Larendo and we have had only 2 problems out of it.

1. Battery cable connectors got dirty and it was hard to start until we got them cleaned.
2. The window regulator cable came loose in the passenger door.

Other than that, absolutely no problems at all at 92,000 miles.

My 88 still going, I bought it new on 8/8/88 8)
Just put on a 2" front receiver
The 88 Cherokee was 4x4 of the year.

I have read that '96 XJs were the best from many sources. That is why I bought one. However, now having one and building and repairing it I have discovered that the 1997 and 1998 XJs are the best years for XJs. This is why:

Stronger better flowing Heads than '99+ XJs.
Better Fuel Injectors than pre '95s.
39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines.
Still have the Strong Block of '91 to '98 4.0s.
OBD ll, easily can hook up a Tester to read what may be wrong.
29 Spline Chrysler 8.25 vs. 27 of '96 and earlier XJs.
Better Radiator Cooling Fan than '96 and earlier XJs.
High Pinion Front Dana 30.
Reinforced Center Pillar.
All-in-one Fuel Pump/Filter.

Late year '96s have many of the above as it was a transitional year for XJs. I do with my '96 XJ.

Hope this helps.

You are welcome.

Also, because '96 was a transitional year... it is hard to get parts at times as some parts are not listed for that particular year. Don't get me wrong, I love my '96 XJ, its just frustrating when some things are '95 and earlier and some things '97+.

Hope this helps.

Back