The National Anthem and Lip-syncing.

mingez

Okay, so help me with a debate here. As you might know (I didn't) they pre-record all National Anthems for the Super Bowl, and guest singers lip sync the lyrics. Jordin Sparks was the singer for the SB, and was WAY off!

So, my question is, do you find that disrespectful? I do. The national anthem is a tough song, I understand. But it seems to me that for the biggest event in the US, they should just find talent that can sing the song, instead of putting on the facade of making it seem live. If it's recorded, then why even put Jordin up there? It's silly.

I know they want to ensure a good performance, and stadium sound is far from ideal, but still. I find it disrespectful.

You?

I lean towards finding it disrespectful in that it insults our intelligence. How do you find it disrespectful?

My wife and I commented about what a wonderful job she did on the song. I didn't pay that close attention to actually watching her so I didn't notice that she was lip syncing. Now that I know, I'm mad. I agree that they should find someone that can sing it live or why bother having her stand up there and pretend.

I lean towards finding it disrespectful in that it insults our intelligence. How do you find it disrespectful?

Good question. Part of it is the fact that it's an insult to our intelligence. But there's more.

The National Anthem isn’t “Just a song”. It’s the song of our country. It’s a symbol of our home and what the US is supposed to represent.

Knowing the song has an innate greater sense of importance, it’s paramount to ensure it’s authenticity and quality.

What is the purpose of lip-syncing? To pretend, fake, or mimic a performance. In other words, it isn’t a real performance, and it’s intent is deception. In this case to convince people that the performance is live, and perfect, when really the performer isn’t confident to sing the song live as intended. In essence, it's a lesser performance...if a performance at all.

PURPOSELY giving a performance of lesser quality when singing what is arguably the most important song in America, is disrespectful.(to me) Which is why Whitney Houston took issue with it for her Anthem 4 years ago.

I’m sure most of the country agrees with me when I say that a live performance is better than a lip-synced one. I’m also sure most would agree with me when I say acts like Milli Vanilli were frauds.

The argument i've heard FOR lip syncing is to ensure a good-sounding performance. I think it's important to ensure that by getting the right talent. Aretha, Brightman, The 4 Tenors, would never agree to be taped.

I dunno, it just seems wrong.

My wife and I commented about what a wonderful job she did on the song. I didn't pay that close attention to actually watching her so I didn't notice that she was lip syncing. Now that I know, I'm mad. I agree that they should find someone that can sing it live or why bother having her stand up there and pretend.

exactly, if they are going to tape it, just play the tape. Don't get the talent up there to feign a performance.

actually, I found out from everyone I was arguing with that, as a policy, the powers that control the Super Bowl insist on pre-recording the Anthem, and lip-syncing. Which, is all hearsay since it's coming from the people I was debating with. So, to be fair, I've no real proof that it's policy. But my point is, if it is policy, it's disrespectful.

I didn't watch that close, but I know that on other occasions when the announcers were talking you could hear their feed coming over the loudspeakers in the stadium at the same time (though slightly delayed) as it was on the t.v. The effect was an echo. Perhaps this is why it looked like she was lip syncing?

My problem is with the people that:
A.) don't take their hats off!
B.) don't cross their hearts! I noticed one player that at least tried.....he was holding his left hand over his heart.
C.) don't stop what they are doing and pay respect.

I didn't watch that close, but I know that on other occasions when the announcers were talking you could hear their feed coming over the loudspeakers in the stadium at the same time (though slightly delayed) as it was on the t.v. The effect was an echo. Perhaps this is why it looked like she was lip syncing?

No, I TIVO'd the game, and watched it twice. There are points in which the visual cues (ie taking a breath, lip movement, closing mouth, words) were after they were supposed to occur, or after they were supposed to occur. Definitely lip synced. Plus, I'm getting lots of people telling me that it's common knowledge that they tape the songs. Evidently this came out during the year Houston did the song.

Since I have nothing better to do...and here is a great opportunity to yank ole Mingez's chain...I guess I will play the Devil's advocate.

To tell you the truth Mingez not everyone can sing the Star Spangle Banner perfectly every time. It is acknowledged as being one of the most difficult songs to sing.
So here you have 28+million Americans watching you sing the Star Spangle Banner, and everyone expects you to get it right....the first time.
Just like recording star's in the studio they take one or two shots at getting it right.
Second...if anyone messes up our National anthem, the American people would be all over there case....protesting to the media...screraming bad things about them to TV reports...and having people like Mingez...who can't sing a note with out the dogs a howling...I might add..blogging it all over the intent! Ok a cheap shot but I have nothing better to do here.
Did I happen to tell you I was getting paid to write this stuff?
No Really I am! I am here at work and I am getting paid to sit here and write this junk. Disgusting isnt it?

Now I could go on dropping reason after reason but the truth is...
and this is the most importaint...they CAN NOT SING it on the field or it will reverberate through the singers microphone as it comes out of the stadiums speakers making them sound just like the ref's when they call a foul.
That is why when you go to a concert all of the speakers are on stage and pointing outward to-wards the audience.
Now think about Ole Tom Petty...was it live or MEMOREX?

Since I have nothing better to do...and here is a great opportunity to yank ole Mingez's chain...I guess I will play the Devil's advocate.

To tell you the truth Mingez not everyone can sing the Star Spangle Banner perfectly every time. It is acknowledged as being one of the most difficult songs to sing.
So here you have 28+million Americans watching you sing the Star Spangle Banner, and everyone expects you to get it right....the first time.
Just like recording star's in the studio they take one or two shots at getting it right.
Second...if anyone messes up our National anthem, the American people would be all over there case....protesting to the media...screraming bad things about them to TV reports...and having people like Mingez...who can't sing a note with out the dogs a howling...I might add..blogging it all over the intent! Ok a cheap shot but I have nothing better to do here.
Did I happen to tell you I was getting paid to write this stuff?
No Really I am! I am here at work and I am getting paid to sit here and write this junk. Disgusting isnt it?

Now I could go on dropping reason after reason but the truth is...
and this is the most importaint...they CAN NOT SING it on the field or it will reverberate through the singers microphone as it comes out of the stadiums speakers making them sound just like the ref's when they call a foul.
That is why when you go to a concert all of the speakers are on stage and pointing outward to-wards the audience.
Now think about Ole Tom Petty...was it live or MEMOREX?
Okay Captain Obvious.... :mrgreen: :purple: :lol: :twisted:

...I hear ya. But the solution isn't to pre-record the song. The solution is to find and pay for the talent. Not every CAN sing the song, which means SOME CAN. So get them. You can settle for less, (and we all know you do :lol: ) but I'm inclined to have the best singers for one of the most important songs, during one of the most watched events.

One of the coolest things about the anthem being sung is the fact that only the best can indeed sing it.

Secondly, the audio and acoustics issue. I get that too, but it doesn't stop them from doing it at other events. The best singers conquer the anthem and it's awesome.

And for the record, I have a beautiful voice thank you very much!

My problem is with the people that:
A.) don't take their hats off!
B.) don't cross their hearts! I noticed one player that at least tried.....he was holding his left hand over his heart.
C.) don't stop what they are doing and pay respect.

:agree:

No to hijack but in a related area.
I went to my neighbors funeral and he had a military burial.

The Army didn't send someone who could play the bugle.
They sent a young lady with a mock bugle that had a speaker in the tip of it and all she done was stand toward the back and press the play button.

After that, nothing surprises me.

Okay Captain Obvious.... :mrgreen: :purple: :lol: :twisted:

...I hear ya. But the solution isn't to pre-record the song. The solution is to find and pay for the talent. Not every CAN sing the song, which means SOME CAN. So get them. You can settle for less, (and we all know you do :lol: ) but I'm inclined to have the best singers for one of the most important songs, during one of the most watched events.

One of the coolest things about the anthem being sung is the fact that only the best can indeed sing it.

Secondly, the audio and acoustics issue. I get that too, but it doesn't stop them from doing it at other events. The best singers conquer the anthem and it's awesome.

First if it was obvious you would have gotten it earlier, but thats ok Mingez I know its very cold in Colorado right now and your having a hard time there :evil: thinking!:purple:

Now to the real argument, "canned singing".
Do you think they haven't tried to get around the reverb problem? the opening,half time and closing ceremonies are a multi-million dollar investment.
The broadcasting rights is worth millions to the Arizona Super bowl committee.
Not including the Cardinal Stadium.
Now there is also National pride here...not only are millions of American's are watching but we have millions of foreigners watching as well, (don't want to highlight this but those foreigners from New Mexico were allowed to watch as well). And to have OUR nation anthem messed up would be...embarissing...

Point blank...its because it would sound like chit at Cardinal stadium and on TV if she sung it live...sort like Rozanne Barr trying to belt it out at a baseball stadium that has all of its speakers turned to-wards the torture victums...oops I mean paying audience.
This way, it was at the right cadence and pitch. It sounded great...better if it was attempted live on stage.

not really :party: Some of the rejects on Idol sing better that you do.

............it's an insult to our intelligence..............
To pretend, fake, or mimic a performance...............it isn’t a real performance, and it’s intent is deception..............to convince people that the performance is live, and perfect ........................In essence, it's a lesser performance...if a performance at all..................

It's obvious to me that there's been some interference by the Bush administration.:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It doesn't really bother me that the song was recorded, In school we had to listen to a recording every morning.

What does puzzle me is the lengths they go through to pretend that she is singing. If they can't sing on the field, just put em in a sky box.

I'm just proud that it was our anthem they were playing. We may not be so lucky next year if we end up with a Democratic (sympathiser) President to go with our Democratic Congress. We may have to listen to the Canadian and Mexican anthems as well. Gotta keep it PC and all.

I don't know why lip syncing upsets everyone in the first place. Half the pop-stars voices are digitally enhanced in recording studios anyhow.

Super bowl is 1/2 football and 1/2 presentation.

I am not surprised that the NFL wants it to look worth every bit of the cost of the commercials and the presenters!

(Sorry though... I didn't watch or record it. I was out having much more fun snow bashing...)

It does kind of rub me the wrong way. Our National Anthem is to me something that should be respected as much as our flag.

The lip-synching thing does kind of cheapen it or gives the impression that those holding the event do not view it as being important.

I guess I have learned to live with the lip-synching, but I don't like it.

The guys with hats, the gum snapping, talking, and those who don't even stand or face the flag bother me much more. I even hold my hand over my heart, and sometimes I think people think I am being ridiculous, but I don't care because I am being an example to my children.

Woo... Now this is something that I can sink my teeth into...

TC, my father was the same way... We were brought up not just to respect the flag, but to respect it because we knew everything that it stood for. At a Wings game, Tigers game, Memorial day services at City Hall, whatever the event that the National Anthem, or Pledge of Allegiance is being rendered, hats come off, we faced the flag, with our hand over our heart, and you respectfully sing/recite. And, I cannot stand when you've got your pro atheletes rocking, dancing about, stretching, etc., while it is being done. Or the way the last two or three lines are drowned out by cheers. Or when you have reporters and sportscasters talking through it. Or... well, you get the idea.

Now... The National Anthem is a hard song to sing... I can sing it, but there are many who cannot, it covers a very wide scale. It is my belief, that, as a citizen of the United States of America, it's more about the song, and what it stands for, than how you sing it. I still, to this day, proudly sing the National Anthem, and really could not give a crap less who happens to be looking. (and I'm self-conscious as the day is long, for the record)

Now, regarding professional sporting events and things of that nature... I agree with Mingez on two points. People can sing the anthem... I have seen it done. I have done it. Find people to sing it... However, I also know that we're talking millions of dollars in promotions and such for an event like the Super Bowl... Allright then. Play a studio version. One crafted just for the event. It will sound, well, like it does now when it is lip synced, which is pretty darn good (as long as you don't have someone slaughtering it, holding out and warbling the notes like an accordion going through a brush chipper). But drop the whole "I'm really singing it" facade... It's the song of our country, and what it stands for, not something to be used to advance your career, or up the ratings on whatever network happens to be carrying the event. Play a recorded version if need be... Drop the act. The point is the song. Of course, in this PC day and age, I'll be surprised if they can even perform the National Anthem anymore in the future...

Anyway, just my thoughts, I happen to believe that we have a truly amazing, very emotion-inspiring, yet wholly underappreciated National Anthem. You can take liberties with it, three versions that I've been analyzing lately are the Dixie Chicks Superbowl version (three part harmony), the Buckingham Palace September 11 Changing of the Guard version (traditional brass military), and Boston's rendition (rock), all of which not only keep the intent and flavour of the song, but allow for the artists to put their own flavour to it, in a respectful and not horrible manner...

One last thought, just to get it out there... Yes, the melody happens to be an old British song. A drinking song, if story is to be believed... And that always seems to come up (ha ha, we borrowed our anthem)... Firstly, we're not the first to do that... The Workers Marsaillese (sp?), and the Internationale were used by many countries for many years... Secondly, if you really want to get down to it, every aspect of the English language is borrowed (if memory serves me correctly, a mixture of Latin and Germanic language), so technically, nearly every country with a spoken language has borrowed bits and pieces from someone else...

But I must go plow some snow now. BTW, who did the anthem this year at the Super Bowl? I don't even know who played, let alone that...

Back