'The Oven' has headlight flicker issues

Turbogus

Hi gang, greetings from Oregon where, we kiss where the sun don't shine.

5136447681_790acb1fa1_z-1.jpg

This is the rig I have when I'm working on 'Betty' my '78 CJ5, 'The Oven' an '81 E150 I bought 15 years ago is having headlight issues.
I only became aware of this as I go and return from work during daylight. 'The Oven' is equipped with a 3+1 overdrive transmission and this intermittent flickering is most prevalent when releasing the clutch and the motor speed changes. I'm thinking that perhaps the clutch pedal is contacting wiring to the double relayed wiring for these 190/120 H4 headlights. This was part of a headlight upgrade I performed about 15 years ago using 12 gauge wiring to replace the wimpy 18 gauge to drive these H4 units.

5497433630_90b568de98_z-1.jpg

On the other hand it could be simply a ground issue as the climate here in Oregon is condusive to corrosion in all forms.
Hopefully I'll have time to inspect the wiring and relays mounted on the interior side of the firewall and find something obvious. If you all have any other insights please respond.
Thanks a lot and a lift of the lynch lid

i have no help but that sure reminds me of the ol 79 or 80 e150 i grew up with our family having. memories

Good photo.. It sure doesn't look like th clutch pedal is making contact. Possibly contact with the wires. I would just go under and wiggle the wires while watching the lights. Then try pressing on the relay. Another possibility is the wires up at the lights themselves. Little torquing of the engine may be tugging or shaking the wires at the lights.

5497433630_90b568de98_b-1.jpg

The first issue I found is where the relays (and other ground wires) were connected to the firewall. Originally I failed to wire brush enough pait off the firewall for good connection. Yesterday I addressed this and used dielectric grease to protect against corrosion and f.o.d. breaking down the continuity again.

5512357666_d27516c073_b-1.jpg

Last night going home I watched the tailgate of a pickup truck I was following and it looks like this may have solved the issue. However today NAPA should be getting a grounding strap (go figure, they had to order in to this consumer desert) that I'll use from the battery neg post to the body.

5512365702_0aa4d21499_b-1.jpg

If this works I'll use the 30 amp relays (and pigtails) to enhance the headlights on 'Betty'

Last edited:
Back