the tire dilema

amuddyzj

So, I know that there is always debates on what the best tire is and yatta yatta. Well I'm looking to lift my 96 zj 4 inches which leaves me room for some 33's. Right now, I'm debating on good tires with a friend of mine who knows more about stuff than I do and I trust his judgement. But, the tires he says are cheap and not a good buy are ones that I find to have good ratings according to JP's new tire testing. Rating wise I see the Pro Comp Xtreme mt and the pro comp xterrain. They both have a 3 out of 4 for mud and street which would be mostly what i would do. My buddy says that they are cheap tires and not made well. He's thinkin more of BFG all terrains or MT Claws. I also noticed that **** cepek mud country got good all around ratings. So I am seeking more advice from expierienced people. what should i trust, ratings or personal expierience? Thanks for the help!!!

Devin

If you like mud stay away from the Claws, pathetic in mud. The other 3 would be good choices for a combination of mud and road use. I think the BFG's would last slightly longer onroad than the ProComps, but not by much. I would use price and appearance to narrow it down further between those three.

what about the mud countrys, they and have good reviews, look more aggressive and are about the same price as bfg all terrains. Also I'm reading alot of good things about the the pro comp xtreme mud terrains.

Last edited:

I have Dunlop Mud Rovers on my Jeep - 35 x 12.50. I have been very happy with the onroad and offroad performance. I have 15,000 miles on them so far. They seem to be holding up well - not much tread wear. I run 15 psi on the trail and 25 psi on the street.

On alot of the reviews it seems like people either loved them or hated them (mud rovers). It seemed they had to balance them religously or had to replace them often due to sidewall punctures. They are a cheap tire though and most reviews are good. The more tires mentioned and stuff makes the decision harder.

I like the 33"x12.50R15 BFG Mud Terrain KMs that are on my TJ... solid off road mud terrain with long life (I love the wear on these) and low road noise (for a mud tire)...

I'd like to try the brand new BFG Mud Terrain KM2s but they are nearly impossible to get (BFG has had them on nearly perma-back order since their release in Sept. 07).

So I'm rethinking through on what to get for a lift and tires. I plan on going to Michigan Tech next year which has alot of wheeling which I plan to do. I also plan to drive up there which is about 1000 miles away from here so I don't want anything that will kill highway mileage and such. So I think that 4.5 in lift with 33's is overkill (Is it for that much highway?) and maybe thinking of a 3in. lift with 31's? I want to be able to do some moderate trails and be able to drive it around without sacrificing gas mileage. What do you guys recommend?

Sounds like the 31" tires would suit you much better. If you're worried about what you've sacrificed by going with less lift and tire, consider a limited slip differential or lunchbox locker for the rear diff (and even the front if $$ permits).

So maybe I should look at like a 3in. lift with 31x10.5's. Would they fit on my stock rims? What about backspacing? I don't think there will be a problem from what I've read but I might be wrong.

what do you guys think about this lift kit. I can't find any reviews about it but it seems to be the best since its cheap yet looks like a worthy kit. Jeep Grand Cherokee lift kit Should I look at a better one like i see that Rough country has a 4in for $630. I'm now lookin at 32x11.5 BFG Mud Terrains on 15x7 rockcrawlers.

That would be a decent kit. I've done a few TJ lifts swapping the front springs to the rear and it works very well. That kit seems well thought out for that type of lift.

Back