this 2" lift is going to kill me

bugleboy

swear this 2" lift i have been trying to do for the last 2 months is going to be the death of me... i ordered a tomken 2" block and spacer lift from quadratec two weeks ago, upon ordering i was told it should be here in 4-5 business day, so i waited egerly and 6 days later, no lift, i sent an email to quadratec and they said "woopsie! did we say 4-5 days? we really meant 3-4 months" needless to say, i canceled my order with quadratec and continued my search for the perfect BB lift, found rustys BB shakle and spacer 2" lift, not only was it cheaper than the tompkin lift but it seemed nicer and safer, i went to get an estimate at the shop today and wouldent you know shop time rate is $88.80 per hour, times that by three for install time (3hr) and add sales tax plus shop fee ($5.00) and you get a $287.00 size hole in your pocker, geeze, forgot to add the price of the lift itsself $100.00, make that $387.00 that i dont have... i need to give a shout out to my dad for helping me with all this, and for paying and accepting my IOU lol

you should've installed it your self, you don;t need to do anything but unhook the shocks and sway bar on the front to install it, maybe the upper arms if its too tight and then on the back, just undo the shackles and swap them out. thats all there is to it, its about an hour to do it your self, maybe 1.5 hours

the shop and instructions said 3hours install and my dad said no go for us installing it :/ i really dont know enough about all this yet, i dont have any choice but to take it to a shop :'( i hate letting someone else work on my baby

bugleboy said:
the shop and instructions said 3hours install and my dad said no go for us installing it :/ i really dont know enough about all this yet, i dont have any choice but to take it to a shop :'( i hate letting someone else work on my baby

A shop will almost always have s "set" time they'll charge for a project like that...you'll get billed that time even if they do it in half the time. Just convince your dad to give it a shot, if you get in over your head then take it to a shop. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

uugh he is worried we will bite off more than we can chew and break something and have to call a tow truck to get it to the shop :/

nah man, its super duper easy. the only way you will break anything is if you turn the nuts the wrong way and break the bolts. but you know which way to turn them so you are good to go

bugleboy said:
uugh he is worried we will bite off more than we can chew and break something and have to call a tow truck to get it to the shop :/

It shouldn't be to bad...be glad you hdont live where they salt the roads in the winter...a simple 1hr job can easily take 3 just removing the old ,usually rusted in place, part.

You'll never know how much you can chew if you never take a bite. You've got the support of the forum. Read the destructions, wash the underside of your Jeep really good. Start spraying it down with a good penetrating oil (Not WD40, a good penetrating oil). Plan for the worst, hope for the best. If it don't work out what have you lost? Just make sure you have good jackstands, it's on level ground and be safe about it.

The only way your ganna learn is to give it a shot I started workin on cars a year ago with some firends of mine now I can pull an motor out tear it down and put it in all done in one day shakles two bolts for each one no prob.

hes not gonna go for it :/ dang it, i was all excited, he said he just wants to pay a shop to do it

dang man, and you have a long way to go till you can move out and get your own place, right?

yeah, he said once i start going to school to work on cars i can start doing this sorta stuff

man, that sucks. my dad told me i better learn to work on cars or it was going to be expensive. he was right. i am glad he taught me when i was little because he didn;t teach any of my brothers so they have to pay someone or come over and do it when i have time.

yeah at least he said he would pay for the labor if i pay for the lift, now its not so bad, he is paying for the bulk, man i dont know what i did to deserve parents like mine, i feel bad making him pay so much but he wont have it any other way

yeah at least he said he would pay for the labor if i pay for the lift, now its not so bad, he is paying for the bulk, man i dont know what i did to deserve parents like mine, i feel bad making him pay so much but he wont have it any other way

Awesome parents. You'll find a different way to repay him. It doesn't always mean in dollars.

Do you think the guys at the shop would let you watch and learn something?

i dunno, ill have to ask, that would be pretty cool, great suggestion :)

Back