This is going to be difficult.

Corby0861

Ok I recently found out that both rear upper control arms snapped and I've got about 1 inch of frame left on both sides in front of the rear tire. I don't want to get rid of the jeep because it is my first. Anyone know if swapping the frame would be worth the price or how much that would cost. I'm no mechanic either I would have to take it to a shop somewhere. Any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks

Whats wrong with the frame, rust? My brother had his wrangler frame fixed from the rear tires back to the bumper on both sides, it was rotted out bad. They cut out the bad section and welded in new plates, it cost him $500 and he was happy with it. take it to a welding shop or 4x4 shop, not the dealer.

Corby0861 said:
Ok I recently found out that both rear upper control arms snapped and I've got about 1 inch of frame left on both sides in front of the rear tire. I don't want to get rid of the jeep because it is my first. Anyone know if swapping the frame would be worth the price or how much that would cost. I'm no mechanic either I would have to take it to a shop somewhere. Any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks

That bites!! It's pricy if you take it to a shop. A friend had the same issue down here in south Texas coastal area. A beach jeep. We fabricated some frame sections out of angle iron and flat steel on the bench in my garage and did some welding. he sand blasted it and we tacked it all back together for a alignment check. It turned out great. After all the welding and a pile of empty cans, it worked just fine. We both are aircraft metal smiths so we just applied what we do daily but with steel and him having the Equiptment helped a lot. Austin jeep quoted him an arm and his first born. We used the damaged sections and just replicated what was originally there minus the rust. You can also look for a wrecked jeep and splice in the sections as well. Hope this helps.

Quadratec offers a CJ frame for about 2000 bucks depending on your model. If you can weld and have a flat surface you could probably fab one also. But it takes precision. If you have access to a lift then I would try to replace it.

It's hard to replace that first jeep, I couldn't imagine doing it.

Swapped mine when the old CJ body finally became a colander. Lol. yj tubs are $300 to $500 depends on the condition and year. Easy swap. Dime a dozen on west coast. Keep the cj roll bar and fenders everything bolts right up. Gas tank side switches but that's easy to fix. Get the new tub painted and rhino lined too if you want. You might make some new holes for the clutch linkage. The two mounts in front of the gas tank won't line up like others said but you could re drill for them or forget them. I didn't use them. It's a great project to really clean up your jeep and get the areas that you can't always see. Have fun

Back