Times are changing and so is my ride

jeepmaster

RE: Torque

well my first year of college is over, and im about to return home in my faithful cherokee. however due to past run ins with the upholders of the law in my area :roll: ive decided that its probably a wise idea to sell my jeep, it sticks out a lot and i know its just a matter of time before i get pulled over again. so ive decided to save myself the harassment and its time to take the top off, in other words im now in the market for a wrangler. my plan is to get a TJ.. i havent decided which engine i want, but im for sure NOT getting the spice interior. im probably gonna be doing my sell and purchase here in the next couple of weeks so ill keep you guys posted

Well, you only have two choices of engines. Go for the 4.0. The gas mileage of the 2.5 isn't enough to override the power and reliabilty of the 4.0.

redrooster said:
Well, you only have two choices of engines. Go for the 4.0. The gas mileage of the 2.5 isn't enough to override the power and reliabilty of the 4.0.

Could not agree more.... had the 4.0 in my 92 XJ, sold it to buy a 97 TJ with the 2.5 and am KICKING MYSELF.
Gas gauge goes just as fast but the rig goes half the speed!! And thats with cold air intake & throttle body spacer.
Chips coming next!

Good luck on the search though!

You could always just chop the top off of the Cherrokee. That would give it a completely different look AND you'd get the soft top you wanted!

But if you're getting a TJ...go straight for the 4.0L. And good luck!

i was actually planning to get the 2.5, but now im gonna have to re think it. you said that you dont notice any real difference in gas mileage with the 2.5 compared to the 4.0? i love my 4.0 now, but i figured smaller jeep,smaller engine, no prob

2.5 off-road.....no problem! 2.5 on the interstates.........well, let's just say you'll be safe from speeding tickets (especially uphill). We've got the 2.5 and the 2.4 and have no complaints ('course I'm never really in a hurry to go anywhere anymore).

heh, i had to go through a transmission swap to get my offroad ability back with the 2.5, but i love it to death. but im not in a hurry to go anywhere just like mud, i just wave back at the people who seem to get a thrill out of flipping off my tires when they drive by

Have the 2.5 myself - no complaints. Cruised along at 70 - 75 on trip to NC (visit to the Muds) - pulled the hill at Jellico TN in 5th gear with little prob. Just my 2-cents worth.

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 for sale

I have had the 4-banger and the 4.0....definitely go the 4.0 route. The 4-banger was just way too weak.

RE: Just bought a 95 Cherokee Sport, what

mud4feet said:
2.5 off-road.....no problem! 2.5 on the interstates.........well, let's just say you'll be safe from speeding tickets (especially uphill). We've got the 2.5 and the 2.4 and have no complaints ('course I'm never really in a hurry to go anywhere anymore).

I have a 2.4 and I couldn't agree with MUD more! lol It's great offroad but a real hassle on the interstates. She just does not have a FAST speed and if you get her that high, your loud and whiney all the way. Go with the 4.0 man.

Lady

RE: I found a place finally!

I'd keep the Jeep, hopefully with the passage of time, you won't be pestered so much about it... I just know that me, personally, there's no way in hell that I would trade my Jeep for anything in the world, not even a YJ, not even an MJ, not even a mint condition AMC Grand Wagoneer!!! And these are all Jeeps that I have wanted forever, and maybe will have someday, but Jeepy's gonna be sitting right alongside them...

Just my thoughts :)

Re: RE: Re: RE: off road today

mud4feet said:

Damn 2.5's HATE uphills......... HATE EM'.

Mine was crying like a baby up on Mt. Hood last week. Once she's up to speed on the highway she's cool, but getting there takes some patience!

Downshift -upshift-downshift upshift......... and I always get stuck behind the moron that goes just the wrong speed limit..... you know the one. you slide her into fourth and all of a sudden the guy drops down 1.73 mph and you find yourself at 1k rpms and slamming it back into third........

Sorry...... kind of went off there! :D

If I had it to do again, would absolutely go 4.0

Roundlights said:
......... and I always get stuck behind the moron that goes just the wrong speed limit..... you know the one. you slide her into fourth and all of a sudden the guy drops down 1.73 mph and you find yourself at 1k rpms and slamming it back into third........

Man, do I hear what you're sayin'!! I swear I get behind that guy EVERY DAY comin' home from work. Cruisin' along ( :shock: ) floored in fourth and actually MAKIN' the hill and there's this guy...............downshift, wind 'er out and go on! Very frustrating but what the hey...a life I chose and do not regret. I wonder why they put that 5th gear in there?

I have both, and I love both. They are entirely different engines. If you dont need the power, go with a 2.5, you can save some coin by going that route. The 4.0 is great for power on the interstate, but your gonna break more parts with the 4.0. If money is no object, then get the 4.0.

id love to keep my XJ, but anytime i drive after dark and i see a cop i automatically get pulled over and searched, it totally sucks. i was considering a re paint but i figure that a new one would be much easier.

Back