Tire issues

David

I'm running 33 x 12.50 MT/R's right now. I have a V-8 with plenty of power & 3.73 gears. With my lift, it looks like I can go up to a 35" or maybe a 36" tire. The questions I have are:
(1) how bad are the more aggressive treads (Super Swamper, Boggers) on the road? I saw a jeep that had boggers on the back and Super Swampers on the front, and it looked like a real good set up for off road. I'd like to have the extra traction, but I don't want to turn my V-8 CJ-5 in to even more of a death trap when I'm on the road.
(2) how much power loss will I experience going up to a 35 or 36 from a 33 given my gearing and engine?
(3) Given that I drive on the road some, but not much (often tow to/from trail rides), what are your recommendations between (a) going to a more aggressive tread but staying with the 33's, (b) going to a taller tire but staying with a less aggressive tread, or (c) doing both--that is, taller tire with more aggressive tread?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

How wide is your track width? Going higher on narrow axles isn't a good combo. If you're wide enough, and your v8 has more power than stock, you should be fine at 35" with 3.73.

Check out the TSL Radial, more aggressive than the MT/R while keeping the road manners of a radial.

Thanks for the input. I have stock narrow width axles on a 74 CJ, so track width is a concern.

With the narrow axles of an early CJ I would recomend that you stay on 33's and go to a more aggressive tread. Since it gets towed to and from the trails a softer tire like a super swamper would be great choice.

Interco makes a skinny swamper if you like pizza cutters, it's the TSL SS (Special Service) in 34"x9.5"x15. It's got a very deep tread, close to bogger depth, 27/32". Then there's the LTB in 34"x10.5", very aggressive but softer tread compound than the average TSL (quicker road wear). All of the above are bias-ply, and may just shake an old CJ apart until the tire warms up and the flat-spots go away.

You can get the TSL Radial in 33"x12.5" or 36"x12.5", but the 33" is not as aggressive as it should be. The 32" is more aggressive than the 33". No experience with the 36".

You can get all the Swamper specs here: www.intercotire.com/site24.php

Back