Tire size

jeff01semperfi

I am in the process of buying new wheels and tires for my stock 2002 Wrangler and I'm wondering what's the largest tire size I can get with out rubbing. I was thinking 31"
Because I know that's what the Rubicons have.[addsig]

yep i believe your right jeff.

anythin over 31 requires lifts/ fender trimming .

Does anyone know how much lift you need to run 33" tires, and also if you are in danger of breaking a stock YJ axle with those?

edited by: BostonJeep, Jun 22, 2003 - 04:35 PM[addsig]

gonna give this a newbie stab,...

body lifts just lift the body off the frame, i wouldnt recommend more than 1" body lift, anything over that is not good for your frame. The body can actually shear off from the frame, and doesnt look good either. Seen jeeps with crazy body lifts where you could see the radiator lines, and the gas tank was exposed in the back. Benefits of body lifts are that they are cheap, keep your center of gravity low, and are good for when you just need that little bit extra clearance for beefier tires. I'm pretty sure body lifts and spacers are the same thing, just some plastic/polyurethane piece between the tub and the frame.

Suspension lifts is where you want to get the majority of your height from, much better for your car, and look much better too, just a lil pricy ( worth it in my opinion).

other than that, ive heard people use the shackle lifts (1-1.5") and been very happy with them. Easy to install etc, ya need front and rear ones.

Hopefully ive answered some of your questions, and if youve got any more im sure you can find someone on here who knows exactly what you're looking for.
-bj[addsig]

jeff01semperfi,

Prepare to copy: 31" on a Stock TJ works just
fine, I run that at the moment, Pics with streched
articulation, and NO RUB.

Boston,, nice job, proud of your efforts,
I appreciate you giving back to the gang.

I'll throw .02 at it too.

Body lifts,, Basically right on the money. Boston

Spacers also exist for your Coil springs,
like on your TJ......

Body lifts can be anything from Hockey pucks.
It works, time tested, $20 1" body 'spacer' lift.
to $120 for urethane, longest lasting, best ride.
Shackle Lifts belong to the CJ and YJ crowd only.

I say again.... 31" will work fine on stock TJ.
When you get ready for bigger tires. We'll
tell you how to raise your Rig 4" for around $250. :)

Good luck,[addsig]

Back