Tire vibration/bounce????

wml52

I have an issue with my 2000 TJ and hope you may have a solution as to what might be the problem or what I can check. Just to give you a little background 2000 TJ 4” Tera-flex long arm suspension lift with 1” body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTR’s.

About a month ago the TJ developed a vibration at speeds 55 and above, felt more like a tire bouncing then a shimmy. Since the tires were pretty worn I decided to replace them all and the rims as well as they were in pretty bad shape as also. Noticed slight cupping on one of the tires when removing it. Replaced all four tires with MTR’s as well as the rims. Balanced the tires using ceramic beads that I have been using for years and have not had a problem with them, I found the beads work much better then wheel weights I also had an alignment done.

When I got the TJ back from the shop I still had the vibration/bouncing feel, so I checked the shocks, turns out the right front and left rear were bad, Tera-flex replaced all four under warranty. Installed the new shocks and test drove the vehicle, still have the vibration.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I could possibly check next as the vibration has me stumped.

Thanks to all

Bill

Did you install an adjustable track bar? What brand? Did you get an alignment post lift install? Did you put a drop pitment arm on?

Do a dry steering test and look for movement in the track bar bushings and in tiered ends. Also check for slop in the steering box.

Post back.

Your rear driveshaft ujoint may be on its way to going out. I know alot of yj,s had issues with rear driveshaft vibration, some even had it from the factory. If it was fine, then all of a sudden developed this problem, you replaced the tires, balanced, and alignment. a ujoint, wheel bearing would be my next guess.

I drive an 91 xj and had the same issue, it turned out to be my tie rod end. The ball joint connecting to my pitman arm was out, I'm not familiar with the TJ but u mite check that

Jacob

Large tires ususally feels like it bounces at high speeds even though it's balanced, the tire or tire's might have a soft spot and would react to speed. A shop with an RFV (Radial Force Variation machine would be able to verify that. I have 3 sets of 35 inch tires for my 81 CJ and they all have that bouncy feeling at high speeds. It gets worse when it sits for a while but gets better after driving it for a few days. I use the dyna beads as well and it works great for balancing large tires however, you must drive it for awhile for the beads to find the sweet spot and fix the shimmy issue.

I've been using MTR's for years and have never had this issue before. It's my daily driver so it should have found the sweet spot by now. As I mentioned in my post I did have slight cupping on one of the tires that was removed indicating that it was bouncing unfortunately my friend who was helping me didn't remember which corner the tire came off. I don't really feel it in the steering wheel seat of the pants tell me its coming from the rear and it feels more like a bounce then a shimmy?

Swap the rear tires to the front. If you still have it in the back, then its not a tire issue.

I can tell you that i had the same kind of vibration (bounce) in my 87 YJ, and it ended up being an axle bearing allowing the flex. I put a complete bearing kit in the rear axle and the bounce went away.

Swap the rear tires to the front. If you still have it in the back, then its not a tire issue.

I can tell you that i had the same kind of vibration (bounce) in my 87 YJ, and it ended up being an axle bearing allowing the flex. I put a complete bearing kit in the rear axle and the bounce went away.

I'm going to try that as soon as I get some free time. Thanks for the tip!

Back