tires sticking out

Dan9

Hey everyone. i am just curious if anyone knows the law regarding tires sticking out past the fenders in ny. if not, maybe someone could help me out with a where or how i could find out. thanks

Google NY limitation laws.It should be in there some where if it is against the law.You can also call the State police or DMV.

Wow, it seems like it is a lot harder to nail down specific vehicle equipment information under New York law than here in California but this is what I've found...

Form MV-529-

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Division of Vehicle Safety Services
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR PASSENGER VEHICLES

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529.pdf

And this brochure-

New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program For Cars and Light Trucks
This publication highlights the safety and emissions inspection requirements for cars and light trucks

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

I'm probably missing it somewhere but I can't find anything that addresses fenders or tire coverage. That seems strange.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

-Phil

thanks a lot bud, i appreciate the help, im gonna look through them now, see if i can find out, maybe if it isnt mentioned, there is no law? thanks again

thanks a lot bud, i appreciate the help, im gonna look through them now, see if i can find out, maybe if it isnt mentioned, there is no law? thanks again

Hey, glad to help. Besides I travel a bit and it's always good to know what the laws are for different states.

Share what you find. I would definately appreciate it.

-Phil

WIDE TIRES ..& NEW YORK ..
thanks, yea, you were right there wasnt anything about it in those links. i almost gave up but this suzuki forum popped up when i googled it. not sure how true it is, eventually i will call and ask myself. i hope it is correct and thanks again.

My only caution about asking a person (i.e.: cop, state trooper, highway patrol, etc) is you gotta write down the date, their name, badge number, unit they are assigned to, anything you think may help identify them down the road if and when you get stopped for a violation. Just saying, "a cop told me it was okay," won't get you off the hook.

The reason I'm so cynical about this is that I have found law enforcement types are just like the rest of us. Some know the law and what they are talking about, others don't.

-Phil

So I have a related question that doesn't really deserve it's own thread, so here goes: Let's assume for the sake of argument that it *is* illegal to have your tires stick out past your fenders in NY. If my Jeep is registered in Maryland where let's say it IS legal, can I be ticketed while driving through NY?

So I have a related question that doesn't really deserve it's own thread, so here goes: Let's assume for the sake of argument that it *is* illegal to have your tires stick out past your fenders in NY. If my Jeep is registered in Maryland where let's say it IS legal, can I be ticketed while driving through NY?

Yes you can.No matter where your vehicle is from or registered it has to be legal for the state you are driving in.We run into this problem a lot in PA.We have a huge Off road show every year where people come in from other states.They all get tickets for what is legal in there state is not legal in my state.The biggest ticket during the off road show is bumper heights.NJ has no law on it,PA has height limits on bumpers.The cops love to sit at the exit ramp before the fair grounds handing out tickets.

Back