tires to big for rims?

hoobness

Re: RE: Re: RE: Forum rules and guidelines

I just bought 15x10s for my YJ. I plan to mount them to 33x12.5 kumho mt. You guys input and the offroad.com article sold me.
Anyway, I keep noticing how alot of messages here describe the tires they ride on as being on 12.5" wide mounted on 8" wide rims,
(4" backspace)
Did I buy to big of rims?

I also got bestop 6" flares for the extra coverage, assuming I measured right they are wide enough.
I need to pass inspection, its also my DD.

tahnks

pacesetter headers and exaust?

A 12.5 tire on a 10 rim should be perfectly fine. No different than a 10.5 on a 7 or 8" rim, which is what a lot of folks run.

I beleive the rims will work fine..it will give you a little wider "look". the only problem I might think of is if you air-down to far you might loose a bead in the rocks....but maybe only in extreme situations.....other than that......

Forum Rules and Guidelines -- Why?

Do you think ill pass inspection with those flares?

In NH tires cannot stick out at all.

I have heard they are strict aroud here, so im getting nervous.
of course im the dummy who did not bother checking
before ordering the wheels & tires

RE: Forum Rules and Guidelines -- Why?

The 10" will work, you'll just be slightly more succeptable to running the tire off the bead or getting junk in the bead than if you were to have 8" rims, when aired down. You'll also be more succeptable to rock rash on the rims, as the sidewalls won't protect the rim as much as they do an 8" rim.

Do you think ill pass inspection with those flares?

In NH tires cannot stick out at all.

I have heard they are strict aroud here, so im getting nervous.
of course im the dummy who did not bother checking
before ordering the wheels & tires

put stockers on for inspection

I'd say 10" rims are good... so long as they are 1-2" narrower than the tread you are fine.

The 10" wheel is going to be about the same width as the tread on a 33x12.50

You'll be fine. The 10" wheel is the best to use with those tires. There is the greater possibilty that you will loose a bead when aired down, but if you need to air down that much......that's why they make beadlocks. Most of the downsides people mention about running 10" wheels with those tires fall more on the side of possibility than probability, and anything is possible.

what about wear on the hwy?

i got 10" because tire dealers around here didnt recomend going 2-3" past the size of the rims and I wanted the biggest i could get with 4.5" lift

but i look at the review of the kumho mt on off-road.com and i notice they have the 12.5" tire on a 8" rim, looks fine to me...? but what do i know

Wear on the highway will be fine on an 8" rim, you just need to run slightly less air pressure for a flat footprint. 8" is all the rage if you wheel the jeep, that's just coming from experience. Most all tire dealers and manufacturers will suggest a 10" rim.

I run two sets of tires, one for road and one for wheelin. I've got 32"x11.5" TSL/SX on stock 7" rims, and 33"x12.5" TSL Radials on stock 7" rims. The 12.5" actually fit better on the narrower rim due to their radial design and narrower profile, the 11.5" are a tough biasply and resist the squeeze down.

Well, debating the 10" vs. 8" wheel inside a 33" tire is useless. Run whatever you want. You've got 10" wheels, run them.....if not send them back and order the 8". Unless you've got ProComps or a couple of others, the 8" rim isn't even within the recommended range. Bounty is right about the Swamper TSL, it does physically fit onto the narrower wheel(I'm talking 8"--NOT 7") better because of the design of the sidewall....but I still say it will work better on the 10" rim.....9" would be perfect

But hey, that's why we post this stuff--to hear different opinions about it.[/quote]

For tire wear the 10" wheel will be best. It is what is reccomended by Kumho (at least that is the size they used to give their specs) and will make for a flatter surface on the road. Your tires will measure to about 32.5" according to specs found here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=Venture+MT

I would probably have chosen 8" wheels myself, but 10" wheels are really what you are supposed to have those mounted on.

As for airing down, just don't get too carried away and you'll be fine.

Back