title question in pa

jeep90

hesitation when stepping on the gas

Well my sister has been looking for a new 4 door car to haul her new rugrat in for awhile. She calls me up and tells me that she bought a 97 ford tar-ass for 1500 bucks. I thought it sounded like a good deal, then she tells me that there is no title :roll: . She bought it from some shady guy who bought it from a shady junk yard and fixed it up. How can she get a title for this thing. As far as anyone knows the title may be in the junk yard's possesion, not the guy she bought it from. Any ideas?

Contact whichever state agency handles titles and they can do a title search, or she can possibly apply for a lost title if she meets thier criteria for proving proof of purchase.

Otherwise she likely can't register it and can kiss her 1500 smackers goodbye.

forgot to add that it is a salvage title, so I assume that she will have to apply for a r-title right?

WANTED JEEP LIFT

i live in PA and can tell you that without knowing someone who can notorize things (shadily) it is nearly impossible. if you know someone, apply for a duplicate title in the same name that it is currently titled to, only change the address to YOUR house. once that title gets there, change the name on the title to your name. its a 2 step process but its the only way i've seen it done.

ccv crud

dingus said:
apply for a duplicate title in the same name that it is currently titled to, only change the address to YOUR house. once that title gets there, change the name on the title to your name.

dingus said:
(shadily)

That's beyond being a bit shady. That's forgery and fraud.

My question is why does it have a salvage title?

I don't understand wherein lies a problem.

If the vehicle has a legitimate "salvage" title, it has a legitimate title.

Perhaps things are different in PA than NY. But here, a "salvage" title is a perfectly legitimate title. The “salvage” notation merely denotes the history of the vehicle: a potential buyer is notified that the vehicle was raised from the dead.

Therefore, why couldn't the vehicle be plated and insured as things stand?

Regards,

Scratching my head, Gadget.

thx

I do not know the whole process behind this but I have heard if you can get a mechanics lien against the vehicle you can get a new title for it, you just need a friend who is a mechanic. I guess this is how mechanics get legal possession of vehicles from people who do not pay for services or who abandon their vehicles.

Gadget wrote:
If the vehicle has a legitimate "salvage" title, it has a legitimate title.

Perhaps things are different in PA than NY. But here, a "salvage" title is a perfectly legitimate title. The “salvage” notation merely denotes the history of the vehicle: a potential buyer is notified that the vehicle was raised from the dead.

Therefore, why couldn't the vehicle be plated and insured as things stand?

Gadget is right, That is how things are here in Texas also. I have bought and sold several used cars with salvage titles. It only means that the car had either been declared totaled by an insurance company or it could have simply been sold to a wrecking yard, like out of an estate. Once it has "salvage" on the title it is still a legit title and it should stay on there. I know of a show perfect car that the frame came from a wrecking yard and it has a salvage title. so what?

Yuppers, my old GMC POS has a salvage title, and I don't have any problems tagging it or getting insurance. A buddy of mine buys totalled cars from the insurance companies and rebuilds them with salvage titles and sells them on his lot. He's sold some damn nice cars and trucks over the years, probably over a thousand of them, all with salvage titles.

Go to CarFax.com and check the VIN to see who the registered owner is.....or at least see when it was last titled.

You don't know how many times I misspelled "titled" in this post to read "tittied"......

I bought a car in PA a couple years ago and the owner lost the title but he signed over his registration to me and that was enough for the NYS DMV. Considering your car came from the junkyard it probably hasnt been registered in a while but if so there is your ticket.

Gadget, that's the way things are here in Oregon too. A "salvage" title is still a good, legal title...just show that something 'bad' has happened to the car in the past.

My Chevy did not even have a title when I bought it (long story), and it had no VIN #'s printed anywhere on the truck. I just went to DMV and they assigned the truck a new title and new VIN # (I had a good bill of sales and all that stuff). Only problem is the VIN # and title now states that the truck is like a '98 Chevy with a diesel (it's really a '74 with a bb).

Gadget...It is a salvage title still in the (as far as anyone knows) the junk yard's name. What happened was the guy that she bought the car from went to the junkyard (his friend owns it) and got the car from him. never received the title. The guy fixed the car and without switching the title over or any paperwork at all sold it to my sister. In pa she will have to (I think) apply for an r-title (reconstructed), then a state police officer will come out and inspect it. If it is good then he will ok the r-title. The problem is that nobody knows where the title is. The junkyard guy is no help at all, and wants no part of it. She now told the guy that she is calling the district justice to get it straightened out. Needless to say, he now is not willing to help at all. I was thinking that maybe she could apply for a lost title, but it was never in her name to begin with.

Rear Brakes Leaking

so it is a salvage title, but the actually title (the piece of paper) has been lost?

A salvage title works just like a regular title. It can be signed over to a new owner the exact same way a regular title could be...it's just called a "salvage title," instead of a "title."

Hopefully she got a Bill of Sales....Did she? If so, I would think she could apply for a lost title. Also if she does, I would go to a local DMV and ask them what to do. If they say she's screwed, go to another DMV or find someone else to talk to. I'm sure there's a way to get it straightened out right.

Here, the junkyard would have to apply for the lost title, since they are the last registered owner......I think

My CJ7 and my 80 Camaro are both salvage title.(what do you expect?....my user name is JUNKPILE)

A guy called me up today and wants to trade a 79 Cherokee Chief for the Camaro body. I say Camaro "body" because I tore the transmission out of it and spun it up hard enough to cause a rod knock, those two things were the only good parts of the car....except for the rust free body.

Back