Tj <> cj

If your TJ is in good shape I'd say keep it. Most CJs i see for sale are all rusted out and painted over to look nice. The ones that are nice are way too expensive and end up needing extra work on things. I ended up giving up my search and snagged a YJ.

while people will tell you that a CJ is the coolest thing ever, they make for miserable daily drivers, they were miserable when they were new, they are mserable 25+ years old. lots of tuning and tweeking, quirky maintenance, poor ergonomics really poor fuel economy. My suggestion, if you want a CJ, buy one as a second vehicle. They will nickle and dime you to death, have a reliable vehicle as your primary vehicle.

or get a yj. all the cool cj stuff but a dependable truck.

but you already have a tj, thats all the benefits of a yj plus cj headlights

If you plan to off-road, TJ's have a lot better suspension flex than a CJ.
Plus they ride and handle a lot better on-road. Otherwise, jps4jeep nailed it.

I mean, there is a company that MAKES custom CJ frames that use TJ axles and suspension.

alright i guess ill take the forsale sign out of my window lol, i have been havin nuttin but problems with my TJ right now anyway but if i put about 600 into it ill be back were i was b4 the issues

I traded a 1998 tj for a car for my wife so I could get a 1978 cj-7. Probably different from what most would do but Ive got a plain, simple to work on "sleeper". Yeah a rubicon could follow me on the trail and ride better on the highway for sure, but Ive less than 6k in my cj compared to about 30k for the rubi! Get or keep the one you want. I like all the different jeeps and if I had enough money would have one of every model, but Im not rich and I prefer the older cj's.

I've got a "97TJ for a daily driver & a "78CJ5 for a toy. The "97 is more comfortable & reliable,but I wouldn't trade my CJ.

I have my 73 CJ5, its my baby and I will tell you, keep the TJ. Yes, its "cool" to drive down the road and have people look and say nice things about the old girl, but you will work on it. Tuning a lot, many have lots of rust and oh did I mention the work. This said, I am looking at a YJ, something more comfortable, easier to get parts and looks good.

I've never had or driven a TJ but I'm sure they ride and drive much better than my 79 CJ5. The Jeep I have is my daily driver but I don't have to drive far to work [12miles]. It rides like a log wagon, I think it has issues that can be worked out to make it better. My son has a 76 CJ5 and it drives so much better. His isn't lifted, maybe it's in the lift. Everyone says the CJ7's ride and drive better, I'm sure they do with the extra wheelbase. When I got my Jeep it was in just about as poor a condition as you'll see and still be able to move under it's own power. I've had to fix alot of things but the CJ's are super easy to work on. Parts are cheap and availble, seems like I've been very lucky catching deals on parts. Gas mileage is 15mpg at this point, thats with a stock 304 and 4speed on 31-10.50'with 3.54 gears. I'm sure I can get 20mpg out of it. The engine is running ok but not great. I'm sure a TJ is logicaly a better choice. The way I looked at it though, owning some vehicals is an experiance. I had always been curious about the old CJ's. Anybody can tell you their opinion of a vehicle but untill you try it yourself you never really know. I have enjoyed my Jeep, rust holes, rough ride and all. They ain't for everybody but alota fun for some of us.

There are kits that will let you put wider YJ springs on a CJ. It is supposed make them ride better.

I've got a "97TJ for a daily driver & a "78CJ5 for a toy. The "97 is more comfortable & reliable,but I wouldn't trade my CJ.

X 2.

I own both a 1978 CJ5 as a toy and a 1999 TJ as a driver too. The TJ has a much better ride and comforts however for much of my life a CJ5 was my daily driver. I remember driving my 1972 CJ5 through the Columbia River Gorge in a storm so bad it was snowing almost as hard inside the jeep as is was outside even though I had the top on; I steered with one hand and scraped the ice off the inside of the windshield with the other but I didn’t mind. Today now that I’m older I’d still go in spite of the storm but I’d take the TJ.

I love my TJ...and would love to have a CJ..I had one for a bit... I like the simplicity of it....easier to work on, not as much electronics....BUT...they are old so you will get problems...and with the leafs the ride is rough....

My ideal would be a CJ as a toy and TJ as a daily driver

Back