TJ Lif Kits, 2004 Rubicon

RudeDog

So, I've been looking around at whats out their, and searched what I could find. "Most" of the info I found is older, and kits have kind of changed. Looking at
short arm kits: Rubicon Express, Rough Country, Currie, Clayton. Obviously like most I'd like the good kit and a good price that rides closest to the stock ride (not rough). I'll need a rear CV drive shaft and shocks, so so that adds addl cost. Really trying to stay @ $2K-$2100 for everything, tax shipping Etc. Based on that number, It looks like the Currie & Clayton kits are beyond my total when you add in shocks and a rear drive shaft.

Rubicon Express RE70003-3 or R/ERE70000 (4.5): Looks like they had bad joint failures, then later came out with a new style "New PT-Meg Super-Ride bushings" Anyone have any history on how these are holding up? How's the rest of the kit to install? Need mods: cutting, welding Etc or just bolt on? How's it ride?

Rough Country: 4" X-series Suspension. Has "new X-Flex joints" Anyone have any history on how these hold up? How's the rest of the kit to install? Need mods: cutting, welding Etc or just bolt on? How's it ride?

Currie & Clayton: 4" kits: No disputing there nice, Johnny joints being sweet, but again the total cost of everything looks like it will exceed my limit.

I have no idea on price, but Big Dicks Suspension has fair prices on their kits and give a 100% garantee on breakage. I have used their kits twice and loved them, I even had to use the garantee once due to a wreck and they honored it with no questions. just another option to look at.

It's over your limit, but I'd suggest saving up for the Savvy arms
Currie Johnny Joints Suspension TJ LJ

I've got some of their aluminum control arms and love them. You could try PM'ing them and seeing if there are any current specials:
View Profile: Savvy - Jeepz.com
I know they do free shipping / x% off every now and then.

I ended up going with a budget brand, and am now slowly replacing them with Savvy arms...

I put a Cherokee front CV driveshaft in the rear of my TJ for $145 (35 for the shaft and 110 to have it cut down). It works great, and is a good way to save a couple of bucks.

Currie, Or OME from what I see. I have 2.5RC it is cheap. And cheap. Plus it does not have all the components needed. Bump stops, brake line extensions. Currie JJ's are better for off road and stock CA with better bushings are better for highway less off road.

There are several threads discussing the various lifts. If you want them I'll posthem.

Last edited:

I have OME and couldn't be happier. Expensive but well engineered.

Flash

I just got a complete Teraflex 3" set up with 8 Monster Arms and shocks within your budget. Have not installed yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, went to the local Truck/Jeep fest event held by 4 wheel Parts @ the San Mateo, CA fairgrounds to check out the deals. I ended up ordering a Rubicon Express #7000-3 Super flex 3.5 kit. Added a RE CV Drive Shaft with 1350 u joints and RE rear Adj track bar. I was able to negotiate the best price there overall. The next lowest price I had found was thru groupbuy. Also scored managed to get some free RE goodies: t-shirts, hats, water bottles, stickers, windshield RE sticker/banner & some screw on valve stem air down fittings. So, the old bone stock Rubicon is starting on its moded way... Thanks to all for your comments!!!! Who ya...!!!!

I was gonna say, our Jeep is not lifted but from everything I've read I think Rubicon Express is probably the best kit for TJ's.

Yeah, not lifted yet. Still waiting on some parts to come in. Mid way I made a change in arms, so I could be part of the delay. After ordering I continued to read different posts on different sites and got more and more worried about the RE Arms. I really think the ones they have now (re-designed w/P-Meg bushings) are probably there best to date that they've made, but the more I thought about it, I really didn't want to have issues and then have to buy arms again. So, I swapped them out for Currie Arms w/Johnny Joints.

Back