tj lift question

clemtiger8

I'm wanting to lift my tj up 4 in. I was just wondering which lift do I need. Upper control arm or lower? One is $500 and the other is $1400.

as the old saying goes you get what you pay for,buy the kit you can afford.the more money spent on the lift usually gets you extra parts not included with cheaper lifts,ie dropped steering arms,extended sway bar links,etc.the long arm kits will give more wheel travel and usually better handling on and off road.the more expensive kits spend more time and money on research and development things like spring and shock rates control arm angles etc,all of these little things can make a big difference in how the vehichle performs.any of the cheaper lifts will give you more clearance for bigger tires and get you off road

If I am understanding your question correctly, you will at least need something with longer lower control arms to make a 4" lift work. Keep in mind that without adjustable (i.e. aftermarket) upper control arms at least for the rear you will not be able to install an SYE kit so you will be forced to use a transfer case drop which will take away some of the ground clearance that you would gain from installing the lift.

If it were me, I would split the difference between the two kits and get something like the X-Flex kit from Rough Country. Comes with a full set of adjustable upper and lower arms with flex joints for a little under $1000. If you get the $500 kit with just the lower arms I don't believe they are adjustable or have flex joints, plus if you decide to add adjustable uppers for an SYE kit later, you're probably going to spend more or at least as much as you would if you bought the X-Flex kit to start with, and you still won't have adjustable lower arms. Just my opinion...but the $500 kit would work fine if you just do occasional light off-roading.

Thank y'all. I will buy the lift with both control arms. I didn't know if I had to have both. I only ride trails and play in the mud. I have a 3in body lift already. Just wanted to go bigger.

Back