Tow Hook Removal

mikep

Ok the tow hooks on my TJ front bumper are T55 what is the best way to break the bolt lose? Used PB Blaster and they are not moving afraid to stip out the T55 bolt.

One Out before the torx snapped but it was a cheap one. Have a real craftsman 1/2 bit on the way. Someday someone will have to tell me the advantage of torx head bolts. It is not the greatest idea when they are torqued to 80 lbs or more.

I was told that torx was designed to reliably feed/engage in automatic screw feeders on the assembly line.

Most of the larger torx bolts have some form of locktite on them that gives way when you heat them up.

It also is a good idea to use 1/2"drive torx sockets and long ratchet/breaker bar

Well got them off with a bit of heat and some PB Blaster that stuff is great. Lesson learned buy good too Thanks for all the goodls and a big breaker bar if you want to work on a jeep. thanks for all the good advise.

oxygen/acetylene torch heat it up quench with water remove bolt.

oxygen/acetylene torch heat it up quench with water remove bolt.
Ok, thanks, but didn't have to resort to that. lol Just used the PB stuff, and a big old 1/2 inch straight socket wrench with a handle about 18 inches. gave me the tork I needed....Slowly moved forward and out. Thanks!

Last edited:
An inexpensive propane torch will also do the trick. Also, remember when using a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Aero Kroil (my favorite), give them time to work. They will wick up or weep down even extremely tight threads but it takes time. Spraying the parts and giving them a few good wacks with a ball-peen hammer helps the oil soak in.

web_ad_02-1.jpg

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

Back