towing a jeep

Gennybro

have 91 yj,5 spd. When towing the jeep,do I need the transfer case in neutral as well as the transmission?

I think the owners manual says to do the TC only if you are flat towing the Jeep. If you are using a car dolly just remove/disconnect the rear drive shaft.

Bacon

I think the owners manual says to do the TC only if you are flat towing the Jeep. If you are using a car dolly just remove/disconnect the rear drive shaft.

Bacon
Excuse me,but I'm a little ignorant about the way the jeep drive unit works, Wouldnt putting the transfer case in neutral ,have the same effect as dropping the drive shaft,it just seems funny to have to drop the drive shaft to tow it.

There would be somewhat less drag if you put the t-case in neutral also. I would. If one has an automatic (I know you said yours is a 5 spd) then you should put the t-case in neutral and leave the transmission in Park or disconnect the driveshaft because the back end of the transmission will burn up since the fluid is not being pumped around inside. With a manual transmission it's not an issue.

For flat-towing the owner's manual states to put the transfer case in neutral and a manual transmission in gear, an auto in park.

The owner's manual states to not tow a Wrangler with one end off the ground. However, if you're going to do this, simply disconnect the driveshaft to whichever axle is on the ground.

Thanks for the info,I thought that there was something in particular that had to be done in regard to towing a jeep .does the transmission have to be in any particular gear when towing? I'm just gonna have to do some research to fully understand the workings of the drive unit.If you have knowledge of any sites that I could go to for information ,I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Times eleventy million... I'm guilty of doing this.

Thank the Great Cosmic Muffin I'm not the only one that's done this! I destroyed both front Goodyear MT/Rs while on a trip two years ago. Never even felt anything different behind the motorhome. Lucky I stopped and noticed them before they blew out on the road! THAT was an expensive live and learn situation. :redface:

I've forgotten once and luckily I noticed it within about a block.

Flat-towing is a decent often overlooked option to get the jeep there and back.

Does anyone know why you put the manual trans in a gear (1st recommended) & transfer case in neutral, 4 wheels down? I have only towed the 47 Willys 3 times and have been told different ways, even when filling with gas, I was stopped by someone and told to remove my rear drive shaft!
SO will you please tell me the what & why! Mark: Thank you!!

Having towed various Jeeps over the last 45 years, the rules are fairly simple.

Trailer: Drive it up and park it. In gear, hubs in. Tie down.

Towing: Neutral, disconnect DLs at the diff ends, tie up, suspended.

That's it.

Robert

Does anyone know why you put the manual trans in a gear (1st recommended) & transfer case in neutral, 4 wheels down? I have only towed the 47 Willys 3 times and have been told different ways, even when filling with gas, I was stopped by someone and told to remove my rear drive shaft!
SO will you please tell me the what & why! Mark: Thank you!!

Again, read above my response.

If towing any 4WD, make it a two wheel dr./trailer affair, in configuration. Thus, tie up the DLs at the diff ends and everything in neutral.

Hope that is helpful,

Robert

Thank you: tie up the drive shafts would be the safe way to go. Why do some just put transfer case it in "N" ,trans (manual) in gear. what damage would this cause?
Does the DS burn up the seals when turning ?
I am the type of person that likes to know why I do it this way, I don't want to start a fight or anything!
are we talking apples & oranges? Bounty hunter & Robert have different ways of towing, I would like to know why, what does it hurt doing the drive shaft or not? And do you use new nuts on the u-joints ?

Last edited:
Back