towing

should be fine, i towed a pop up camper in my 2wd cherokee 4.0L for years, no problems to report

It can physically pull it but its far from ideal. Problem is your Jeep isn't heavy enough to safely control a trailered Jeep and your brakes aren't large enough. The trailer will end up driving you

Do you know what your Jeep is rated to tow?

Yup scary. I tow my Cherokee with my 3/4 ton Chev. With the trailer it wieghs almost 5000 lbs and its only an 18 ft car hauler. I towed it with a half ton and felt it my 3/4 is much better. Couldn't imagine it behind a jeep of any kind

Bounty__Hunter said:
It can physically pull it but its far from ideal. Problem is your Jeep isn't heavy enough to safely control a trailered Jeep and your brakes aren't large enough. The trailer will end up driving you

Do you know what your Jeep is rated to tow?

i looked it up and it said it had 7400 lb tow rating

laredo, like a grand cherokee? i towed vehicle with my cherokees all the time with no trouble, even with a 5" lift i towed the wife's liberty across town on the highway

yeah a grand cherokee. haha. what was that drive like? i'm needing to get mine down to jeep safari in moab from salt lake city.. it's like 5-6 hour drive through canyons and deserts. haha

i had no trouble but i didn;t go over 55 or 60mph. the cherokee didn;nt have hte factory tow kit either, it had crappy gears but towed and stopped fine. i think with a grand, it would be even easier since the grand is a physically bigger jeep.

and the liberty is something like 5k pounds, no light weight like the cherokee and wrangler

superj said:
i had no trouble but i didn;t go over 55 or 60mph. the cherokee didn;nt have hte factory tow kit either, it had crappy gears but towed and stopped fine. i think with a grand, it would be even easier since the grand is a physically bigger jeep.

and the liberty is something like 5k pounds, no light weight like the cherokee and wrangler

so cherokee's are one of the lighter ones? how much weight do like 35 inch tires and lift kit and bumpers add? do you know?

i think my 87 cherokee with a 5" lift, stock bumpers, and 31s weighed something like 3300 pounds.

I highly recommend NOT doing it, especially through canyons and such in your area. You will find out real quick what it means when somebody says the tail will wag the dog.

You can't plan for the unexpected, and any unexpected with that light of a tow rig and you will not be able to regain control of the trailer. Just because somebody did it with a lighter tow rig doesn't make it safe. Just because you can physically get the load moving and get it stopped when you 'plan' to stop, doesn't make it safe. It's those times you don't 'plan' to stop or 'plan' that evasive maneuver that you have to be concerned about.

Bounty__Hunter said:
I highly recommend NOT doing it, especially through canyons and such in your area. You will find out real quick what it means when somebody says the tail will wag the dog.

You can't plan for the unexpected, and any unexpected with that light of a tow rig and you will not be able to regain control of the trailer. Just because somebody did it with a lighter tow rig doesn't make it safe. Just because you can physically get the load moving and get it stopped when you 'plan' to stop, doesn't make it safe. It's those times you don't 'plan' to stop or 'plan' that evasive maneuver that you have to be concerned about.

yeah. that's true. haha. can anyone think of any ways to get my rig down to moab? without having to drive it. haha

Back