trans change elec prob

mouse53

Ok I have a 97 TJ 4cyl, auto, changed to an AX5 same np231 transfercase, had to get a 21 slpine input, did the whole swap. Lights work, turns over, but no power to coil. Checked all wiring plugs, they look right. Trying to figure what I missed. Anyone got any ideas? Ran fine before, but auto took a dump, so I changed to a stick.

When you did the swap, did you replace the Flywheel with a similar tone wheel as the flex plate that you replaced?.
This sensor is a hall effect device that detects notches in the flywheel (manual transmission) or flexplate (automatic transmission)
This sensor is used to indicate to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) that a spark and or fuel injection event is to be required. The output from this sensor, in conjunction with the camshaft position sensor signal, is used to differentiate between fuel injection and spark events. It is also used to synchronize the fuel injectors with their respective cylinders.
The engine will not operate if the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position sensor input. The positions of the notches on the flex plate and the flywheel must be exactly the same or it will not work.

OK, I did recieve everything from a 97 Wrangler 4cyl stick ( AX5 ). Same year, same model. I also know that when I installed the flywheel, the bolt holes only line up in 1 position. I tried every other way, but the holes did not line up. I didn't know about the crank position sensor, although I remember it being referred to. I was under the impression that it only goes on 1 way. I know the bypass wire for the back-up lights works, so that takes the place of the Neutral/Safety switch. How can I check the flywheel position without having to disassemble everything? That would really suck, but if I have to, I will.

OK, I did recieve everything from a 97 Wrangler 4cyl stick ( AX5 ). Same year, same model. I also know that when I installed the flywheel, the bolt holes only line up in 1 position. I tried every other way, but the holes did not line up. I didn't know about the crank position sensor, although I remember it being referred to. I was under the impression that it only goes on 1 way. I know the bypass wire for the back-up lights works, so that takes the place of the Neutral/Safety switch. How can I check the flywheel position without having to disassemble everything? That would really suck, but if I have to, I will.

Sorry. I don't know of any other way to see IF the flywheel matches the flexplate notches. On the other hand , If you have checked the CKP sensor wire connections and found it to be connected properly, check the ASD relay. swap it for a known good relay. If it's still a no spark, then i would go back and verify that flywheel.

Thank you very much for the info, SteelHeadz. I appreciate your responding so quick too. I will definitely check the ASD relay, I am pretty sure I can get a good one. If not I can replace it. Then on to the next step. Luckily, I have access to some close friends that do this for a living, just couldn't get ahold of them this weekend. I already had an " awakening " to the 21/23 spline input shaft on the np231 t-case. Got the right gear for half of new, and he showed me the differences in length of the shaft and the thick/narrow splines on the planetary. I will try to do an OBD check also ( although I don't own the tool ) through my good friend. That should show a crankshaft position sensor problem. I will try to get back here soon with an update. Thanks again and really nice site.

I will try to do an OBD check also ( although I don't own the tool ) through my good friend. That should show a crankshaft position sensor problem. I will try to get back here soon with an update. Thanks again and really nice site.

The OBD scantool may show that the CKP is good by reading the RPM from the flywheel. What's in question is the timing notches on the flywheel. Don't rely on the scantools ability to read the signal from the CKP because it doesn't know and it doesn't care if it's the correct timing. The crankshaft timing relies on the flywheel. and your welcome.

So much for old school, I adjusted the sensor and found the plug loose. After some wrenching and careful rechecking, it fired up and runs fine. I will have to adjust the 4wd lever to fully reach 2wd, otherwise, thanks to you SteelHeadz, all is good. My wife wanted to make sure I tell you thanks from her as her TJ has been out of service for a while. You Can find what you need on the net. Thanks Jeepz.com

Back