transfer case squeal on 93 yj ??

hoodoshnik

Hi,
Hope someone can help with this - Im replacing rear U joints on my girlfriends 93 Jeep wrangler YJ and with the driveshaft and transfer case extension oil seal already out, I am hearing a squeal from within the transfer case as I spin the output shaft. It sounds like an expensive squeal but Im hoping it isnt... anybody have any hints to narrow down the problem ? I tried the hammer-handle-stethoscope trick but I cant pinpoint the sound.
Thanks for any help,
Colin

It could be a bearing if the oil ran out for a while. Usually the throwout brg is the culprit for the first to make noise.

Re: Jeep Gov..?

Thanks, ritt for quick reply !

sorry - forgot to say its an auto. trans. ( so are no throwout bearing ) , and oil was a 1/2 qut low in transfer case, transmission fluid was topped up .

that transfer case looks like a bear to fool with ... should i just put the new ujoints and oil seal in and hope for the best ?

the noise is like dry squeal - not a chowed bearing noise really ... or at least not like that rough, crunchy sound ive heard from throwout bearings or waterpump bearings or the like...

Snitty said:
The transfercase really isn't that bad to pull apart.

Thanks Snitty for reassurance . Is there anything wierd in the way of special tools im gonna need if I dive into that thing ? Ive got a decent metal shop setup but not a lot of specific auto stuff besides hand tools ...

Did it make the sound before pulling the shaft and seal and letting the fluid run out? If not, replace the parts and top it off, you should be fine.

The t-case is easy to work on once you become familiar with it. It can be tricky to reassemble if you don't know what to watch for, it's easy for the oilpump pickup to come out of the pump and burn up the transfer case. A good set of split-ring pliers is about the only 'special' tool required. I had to buy a 10mm 12pt. socket for one of the housing bolts as my toolkit didn't have one.

brake line question

Bounty__Hunter said:
Did it make the sound before pulling the shaft and seal and letting the fluid run out? If not, replace the parts and top it off, you should be fine.

Yeah - i noticed the squeal whilst i was turning the shaft to get at the bearing cap retainer bolts . Thanks for the info ! You guys have been helpful .

Heres what a really bad bearing looks like .
image-missing.png
From dust we sprang and to dust we shall return, eh ? haha! There werent even any chunks of needle bearing left - just black powder .

Actually I was surprised how little vibration and noise came from such a chowed bearing - I guess the shaft is pretty straight and short so didnt fuss as much, but I couldnt really even see play in it till the wheels were off the ground . Goes to show that even the slightest vibration in a driveline oughta be checked out right away ...

hoodoshnik said:
Goes to show that even the slightest vibration in a driveline oughta be checked out right away ...
Yes, they've also been known to grenade transfer cases.

Back