Transformation Nearly Complete...pics

redrooster

A few months ago, I posted up about the transformation my Jeep was going through. Initially the project consisted of repairing the cracked frame extending the rear wheelbase and installing a 4 link with Sway A Way Air shocks in the rear. It snowballed...
The frame was determined to have 5 visible cracks not just the two that I initially found. I decided to ditch the CJ frame for a YJ frame. They are stronger wider and mandrel bent vs. the pieces of welded channel that were used on the CJ. They do fit, but not without some modification. ALl body mounts are not captured by the CJ tub. This was of little concern to me since the rollcage ties in through the body in 8 places in addition to the six body mounts that did work. All the random unnecessary brackets, bumpers and junk were cut off the YJ frame before being placed under my tub. The front bumper/shackle reversal from my CJ had already been fabricated to accomodate full width axles and YJ springs. It was merely cut off and rewelded to the front of the new frame. New shackle hangers were welded on for the front springs.
The project began to snowball when I came across the opportunity to replace my 360 with a 2001 Vortec 5.3 engine. The engine has less cubes, but greater performance, so I jumped on it. I have several friends with these motors who abuse them with little or no problems. They are very reliable.
The engine swap also required that I have the guts from my AMC Th400 swapped into a GM Th400 housing. I could have bought the adapter ring for $150 from advance, but opted for the GM housing since I knew where to get one free. The swap only cost me $50 more overall than if I had gone with the adapter ring.
The engine transmission and transfer case were all set in place and motor mounts were fabbed once everything was test fitted. The flat belly skid for the transmission and T-case were later fabbed from 1.75" tubing, poly bushings and a 1/4" peice of plate to provide for a flat skid. I will get pictures of it later.
Once all that was done, it was time to move out back. My goal was to get to a 112" wheelbase using the afore mentioned Air chocks and 4-link. My buddy has a laser cut 4-link bracket kit made that he sells on E-bay, so I snatched one of those up. These make life a lot easier. Once the initial measurements were taken, we found that the wider YJ frame was going to interfere with fitting the Air shock between the frame and tire. There was no way to make it fit without the new 42" Iroks rubbing all over them. The decision was made to cut and tube the rear. See pics.
I have also done a lot more fab work in the fuel, transmission and brake line departments that add to the custom built look, as well as the addition of high steer to my hydro system.
Twisted Copper will hopefully post some pics I mailed to him. One of these days I will have to sign up for a site to host my pics. Until then, thanks for the help, T.C.
The Jeep currently starts and runs. All that is left to do is finish painting, hookup my temp gauge and o2's, install the rear driveshaft and have new exhaust run.
I'm anxious to get her out for a test drive.

my buddy is currently doing a similar build, although his is all yj. instead of tubing the rear they cut off the rear and made a new section of frame to support the body still because he will have family riding with him.they made the new section narrower and put in a cross brace on the old frame and welded the new back half to the cross brace. heres his build thread if you want to pick it over
http://mpjai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4267

I like it.
I think BTF actually makes a kit to do the frame with. I know they installed one on the Rock Mafia Unlimited. I have seen that particular Jeep at Gray Rock and the frame has a nice transition.
Mine was done in tubing because my buddy has a bender and is very skilled in that area. The tubing makes it a little lighter and is still very strong since it is tied to the frame and cage.
Being light in the rear in addtition to added wheelbase really helps in the southern terrain where you encounter a lot of wet stair steps.

hmmm never thought of it that way, my buddy thats doing the majority of the building on my friends red yj isnt too bad with his bender, i think they were trying to keep things simple though. its always easier to get square tube square than it is to get round tube square.

True dat. Try getting two seperate long pieces of tubing to have identical bends.
On the weight issue, I have removed as much weight as possible from the rear without ruining the structural integrity and the look of the Jeep. There is no significant weight behind the axle. The fuel cell is the only weight near the rear and I have pushed it all the way up against the back of the seats.
I hope T.C. didn't junk the e-mail with pics I sent to him.

Christmas2005andJeep038-4.jpg

Christmas2005andJeep036-4.jpg

Christmas2005andJeep033-4.jpg

Christmas2005andJeep027-4.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics T.C.
I don't know what is up with my camera and the blurry pics. I think it has been on a few too many rides.
BTW...I also had my guy fabricate some tube fenders that are not shown in the pics. They will be sanded, primed and painted blue. They look similar to the Poison Spyder fenders. Pimp for sure.

redrooster said:
I don't know what is up with my camera and the blurry pics. I think it has been on a few too many rides.
Ya right. Blame it on the camera. Probably had a few too many beers while working on it.

Well, my vision might be blurry, but the camera should still work.
What, no other comments (about the Jeep) from the gallery???

"Wow" is all I have to say. Very nice. How long has this ended up taking you?

didja design a "cooler lock-down" in it this time?? It's a shame to see all that good beer spread on the ground. :lol:

I think we started back in October and worked weekends whenever we got a chance. I got it back in mid December with all the major work done. I have just had to do a lot of smaller projects to wrap it up and haven't had much time lately. I really just started back on it last week.
It could be finished by the weekend if I could work on it every night this week.
I did the dash a few years ago. It is a piece of brushed aluminum with a 1" break at the bottom for rigidity. It has 5 Autometer Sport Comp gauges measuring Fuel, Water Temp, Trans Temp, Oil Pressure and Voltage. No tach or Speedo. It also sports the factory vent cables for the heat and defrost with the fancy billet knobs that won't pop off when you pull them. I also have a Pioneer CD player with a marine cover on it.
Actually, the cooler was tied down when I rolled over and spilled the adult beverages last time. I had forgotten to snap the lock on the lid. Dohh!!! The gasoline smell all over the beer detracted from taste. I now have a fuel cell with a rollover valve to keep the gas from spilling. Good thing I had left that Purple and Gold bag back at camp.

redrooster said:
..........................Actually, the cooler was tied down when I rolled over and spilled the adult beverages last time. I had forgotten to snap the lock on the lid. Dohh!!! The gasoline smell all over the beer detracted from taste. I now have a fuel cell with a rollover valve to keep the gas from spilling. Good thing I had left that Purple and Gold bag back at camp.

Yeah, I figured it was just a brain fart! :lol: bad lookin' rig ('course it was before, but best to get the frame shored up!!)!! Just cut me and my little stocker a little slack if I'm blockin' you way somewhere along the line.............we're both very envious.

You don't have to worry about me, watching other folks is half the fun. Besides, I remember some good times in nearly stock vehicles. There's nothing wrong with that.
Hopefully, I will get the painting done this week. I'll get some pics of the 4 link before I put the tires back on. I'll also get some pics of the crossmember and Jeep without masking paper.

Man I wish I could afford to do all that to my YJ. Gettin married in about a month so the old lady would kill me if I spent that kinda cash before paying off the wedding.

Craig said:
Man I wish I could afford to do all that to my YJ. Gettin married in about a month so the old lady would kill me if I spent that kinda cash before paying off the wedding.
If you think she would kill you before the wedding, just wait til after the wedding.
I feel your pain. We have our first baby due soon, which means I will get my Jeep done just in time to not be able to ride it.

redrooster said:
If you think she would kill you before the wedding, just wait til after the wedding.
I feel your pain. We have our first baby due soon, which means I will get my Jeep done just in time to not be able to ride it.

I'm in that boat! MY YJ has been under the extensive modification knife for the past three months and Junior#1 is on the way so things are now in top gear.

It's looking like I may have to get a pile of rocks dumped in the back yard.

Back