Transmission oil.. how much?

CTJeeper

I have to replace my transmission oil... but before i do i want to know how much i will need... i have a stock 91 YJ with the 4.0L engine... i dont know the exact Transmission... is it a NP231? not too good with that stuff.. anyway i got two bottles of Mobil 1 75W90 oil.. wondering if ill need more.[addsig]

I always end up with about 3/4 of a bottle left over. My best guess would be two and a dab.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I just replaced the transmission in my 93 YJ 4.0, the 4.0 has an AX-15 transmission. The NP231 is the transfer case. I replaced it with an AX-15 from a 91 cherokee, slight input shaft difference, had to make fabricated parts for it, nothing tough... back to the topic here. After replacing it... obviously I had to fill it. Because the AX-15 is only a medium grade transmission, it cannot always handle the torque produced by the 4.0L muscleshack(not quite). One problem with these is that the synchronizer in 2nd gear starts to go bad.. then 3rd gear... and so on(not always this order)... When they go bad, you begin to grind all the time, and that eventually will shake your bearings loose. This is what happened to my transmission... Why does this matter to you??? Here is the answer... I read on several other Jeep boards, that there is a way to prevent/resolve this. If you step up the thickness in your gear oil, it can act as a helper to get the synchronizers spinning when they need to. Its a little tougher on the motor when the transmission is cold, and just starting on cold days... but once its warmed up... you get a good smooth shift. An alternative to this would be to get some GM Synchro-Meshing Fluid... This also has agents that protect your synchros and help them to keep your gears in sync with each other when shifting. I went with the thicker oil myself, due to cost reasons, but if I had the money.... The GM S-M fluid is the way to go.... My transmission took 3 1/3 quarts of oil to fill it... It is a pain in the balls to do it, because of the thick nature of gear oil. So I suggest warming it up a little to loosen it up before putting it in. The easiest way to guess how much you will need would be to buy 4 quarts, and fill it until it starts to run out of the fill hole. Check your axle oil levels... if you are low, then use the rest of what you had from the transmission to bring the axle level back up. Let us know how she turns out.[addsig]

Im think about putting thicker oil in my trany to but i was wondering what is the best way to change the fluid. Is there a way of draining the fluid wiht out taking the pan off? I have a 90 yj jeep wrangler. dont really know what trany is in but i know its stock? [addsig]

my '90 XJ w/ 4.0 transmission took 4 courts after i drained it...[addsig]

OH Boy. Snitty my synchro in 2nd gear is on its way out... and 3rd is starting... i thought changing the oil might help.. youre right i think it is the AX-15 that i have... how much of a pain is it to get the synchros fixed??? is it worth doing it now or should i put some of that "synchro-mesh" or thicker oil in? also how much is the syncro mesh? ARGHHHH i have like 6 things to fix and its like 20 degrees outside!! thanx guys. [addsig]

Bad news for ya my man.... Just for the safe sake of it... start looking for a new transmission. The AX-15 is an Aisin built transmission. Its a Japanese aluminum transmission. It is built a little differently than the good ol' American monsters. 2 Professional shops in my area told me that it is cheaper to replace the entire transmission than to replace only a part inside it. I would highly suggest going with the GM Synchro Mesh at this point.... and for now... as you drive... pull the shifter ALMOST into gear, hold a little pressure on it... not quite enough pull it in, but enough to pull toward the gear and allow it to synchronize. Once it's synchronized, it should fall into gear. This doesn't always work... but it will keep your transmission from wearing so much. It takes a long time to shift, but that saves you from having to buy a transmission tomorrow. In mine, after about 6 months after my synchros went... is started sounding like someone dropped gravel in the bottom of my transmission... whenever I was in neutral or had my clutch down... I would get a rattle, that was an internal bearing's rollers falling apart... I could not coast at all... when i drove, I had to keep it in gear all the way down to a stop... and because the synchros were shot.. i could not downshift.... let me tell you... trying to bring 3rd and 4th gear gradually down to a stop is NOT fun every time you do it. I think this post here has inspired me to take apart my old transmission to see exactly what happened and see what makes them so weak. To conclude here... I think you'd be best using the synchro meshing fluid and for safety sake.... lookin for a new transmission.... it would be smart to upgrade.. the NV4500 or the NV5600 are the GODS of manual transmissions for swaps in jeeps. I was down on money and picked up a used AX-15 for $300. If you decide to replace it, there are some small differences in the years they made them. Let me know how stuff turns out.[addsig]

!@#@!$# darnit. Well now I have a body mount rusted off, door handle is broken, Transmission about to kick the bucket.. rghhhh maybe ill spruce her up and sell her and buy a Scrambler! always wanted one of those hahahah. well in the mean time ill start lookin for the transmission and use GMS-M thanks for all the help.[addsig]

If it's a standard stick transmission, use GL-3 rated gear lube. Redline MT90 or MTL is highly recommended.

*Do Not use GL-5 or Mobil 1 synthetic. Some Owners's manuals incorrectly recommend GL-5. The high sulfur content is Very corrosive to the brass syncros. I learned this the hard way. Just after the warranty went out and only 32,000 miles!*

I get the transmission lube by the gallon and have a little left over, I'd say just under 4 quarts should do it.[addsig]

Joker is right, don't use Mobil 1 or any GL4 or GL5 rated gear oil in an AX5 or AX15. The high sulfer content is corrosive to the brass synchronizers.

Redline MT90 is a great synthetic. It's a GL4 but specially formulated to be easy on the synchros.

I've been through many an AX5 transmission to find this out the hard way
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ahh ok.. well i guess i will go out and see what i can find... change it. and then look for a transmission(im guessing the oil wont CURE the problem... only "patch it up" as chris rock would say). Well i guess if it weren't broken it wouldnt be a Jeep... and i wouldnt LOVE it like i do.

I think Jeeps just love the extra attention they get when they are broken
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back