Transmission Swap?

88wrangler

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and i need your help. I have a 88 Wrangler with a 4.2 I6 w/ a puegot trans and a np231. My trans is bad and i'm wondering if a t-18 will swap right in or will i have to get adapters. Another thought i had was to swap in the t-18 and the dana 300 from my rusted out cj7. Did they change the 4.2 block in anyway? If they didn't then i would just have to change the fly wheel and get custom driveshafts right?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Tim[addsig]

I believe the block stayed the same... I know the weak ax-15 is still better than the puegot... then yet... advanced adaptors can help you put just about any transmission behind any motor[addsig]

The block is the same, but that transmission will not bolt to the NP231J transfer case. If you use the transmission/transfer combo from the CJ, it should work, but you'd have no vacuum control to the front axle, since it comes from the transfer case switch. No big deal, just put in a cable or manual vacuum switch to operate the front axle disconnect.[addsig]

one thing else you would have to do is swap out the front axle b/c d300 has passenger side drop and wranglers have drivers side pumpkin... that would be some bad driveshaft angle...hahah[addsig]

if i swap in a new axle i'm thinking dana 44 but I dont have the money to get one right now. Will the axle from my cj be a direct swap or will i have to modify? Thanks, Tim[addsig]

Back