trany issues AGAIN

CJ5_Will

Ive been having problems w/ my trany for i dnt know a year. i took it to a trany shop for a free 21 point inspection. Im sure its having electrical problems but the guy at the shop says there is no way that trany is an electric trany. So is the 4 speed auto in a 91 cherokee electronic? and if not why does it have a switch that changes shifting from power to comfort? The idiot at the shop just wants to rebuld the trany and tell me what it could hav been after me giving him 1000 bucks. I just told him to have a nice day and havnt gone back

The AW4 in your XJ is completely computer controlled, it has it's own transmission computer (TCU). These trannies are a dime a dozen, mainly because they don't often have any problems. I have one for $100.

The most common problem with these trannies is related to engine sensors.

ive got a guy comn on satrday w/ a scan tool he says he's sure its a speed sensor or somthn so it should be fixd by next week im pretty happy

Your 4sp is an electronic trans. The 3sp torqueflight and loadflight are not. Was the vehicle on the lift to see if any wire harness was leading out of the trans? That is a sure sign its electronic, he should know that. What exactly is the transmission doing? The electronics in the trans control the solenoids which control pressures to the clutches. This is the power/comfort mode. The TCU for this monitors the VSS and TPS to adjust the solenoids accordingly. How is the fluid, have you dropped the pan at all to see if any particles are in the pan. That will tell you if you need a rebuild or not. If no particles, then it could be a broken seal in one of the pistons which are usually accessible from the outside of the trans, or main pump, or a solenoid problem which you would have to drop the pan and valve body. Is it slipping, shifting hard, soft, dropping in and out of gear?
Guysmiley

fluid is fine, changed all fluid after it started messn up no particles. the trany is the four speed. the trany is just up and shifting into 3rd while drivn. it will shift down to second and back to 3rd but wont go into overdrive or shift all the was to 1st. to make it stop all u hav to do is pull over turn it off and its fine for a while.

To rule out a mechanical problem, remove the fuse the TCU (behind the dash below the glovebox) and the transmission should shift into every gear manually. If it shifts fine manually, it's a TCU or sensor problem.

Back