Trouble shifting

scotti2az

I have an '06 rubicon. Started having problems shifting from 3rd to 4th. Have to double clutch to get into 4th gear. Is this a clutch proble? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Z. I doubt it's the clutch if you're only having the problem from 3rd to 4th. I'd suspect syncronizers in the transmission and start by changing the gear oil to a quality synthetic.

Thanks for the welcome. Is this a common problem? I only have 38000 miles on it and I dont beat it or over rev it between shifts.

Welcome to the Z. I doubt it's the clutch if you're only having the problem from 3rd to 4th. I'd suspect syncronizers in the transmission and start by changing the gear oil to a quality synthetic.

I've got the same issue with my 97; I'm pulling it out this weekend for a rebuild. 110K miles and I have been fighting it for about teh last 20K off and on. (sometimes it shifts nice other times I have to FIGHT it, especially in 1st and 2nd, a lil in 3rd sometimes).it used to shift slicker than snot even w/o a clutch. (other than taking off in 1st from a dead stop)
I did teach 2 people, how-to drive a stick on this Jeep though (wife and teenaged son)

Last edited:
I have an 06 with the 2.4L I blew the syncrose In fourth gear 3 months ago. And I've just been nurseing it unitl I can pop in the Nvg1500 I have sitting in my garage. The 6 speed is garbage !!! Every one here on the north east had had terrible trouble with this transmission.

I have an 06 with the 2.4L I blew the syncrose In fourth gear 3 months ago. And I've just been nurseing it unitl I can pop in the Nvg1500 I have sitting in my garage. The 6 speed is garbage !!! Every one here on the north east had had terrible trouble with this transmission.
ohhh REALLY? I have the AX 15, just turned 110K and have been nursing it since about 87K..... my brother has a YJ with an AX5, he nursed 3rd gear in for about 80K before it grenaded; I had been thinking of trying to get me a 6 speed. they put the 6 speed in with a 4 cylinder? I would never have thought that!
My clutch isn't the problem (and it only has 50K on it) but as long as this transmission is coming out I won't put it back in w/o a new clutch while I am in there. I have a Centerforce to put in; what are your thoughts on that?
This isn't the "crazy" one just the "next step" over stock; I believe there are 2 stages of centerforce above this one.
It's brand new, and I got it cheap on feebay like 4 years ago for something else I "thought" it would fit; seems the 318s have a 1/2" bigger clutch; but I kept it for "later use" when I found out it would fit a 4.0 or a Dakota 3.9.

I would advise against the six speed and go with the nvg 3550. It's from what i've heard pretty much grenade proof. The gear ratios are way too close for the six speed and four cyl. But the nvg 3550 is the way to go abd fin what I've read.... And I've done extensive research .... That transmission should bolt right up!

I would advise against the six speed and go with the nvg 3550. It's from what i've heard pretty much grenade proof. The gear ratios are way too close for the six speed and four cyl. But the nvg 3550 is the way to go abd fin what I've read.... And I've done extensive research .... That transmission should bolt right up!
yeah if I could FIND one....
I called around for a transmission for my 97 and every yard laughed and said "good luck". I found (1) AX15 on CL with the same problem as mine (needing rebuilt) the idiot wanted $350; I offered him $100 as a core; because I wanted to rebuild another and then swap them rather than taking mine down long enough to overhaul "it" and put "it" back in.
As long as I don't find any bad gears or shafts inside it will cost me about that same $350 to rebuild what I have, (meaning I will know what I have instead of another problem transmission) AND put a new clutch in while it's out;
it helps teh deal I got on that Centerforce pressure plate I have had sitting here about 5 years waiting for a good chance to put it in!
I diid have a tough time finding "just" the disc and T-O bearing as now a days everyone sells kits..... I didn't think that the disc alone had gone up to $62; that is alot more than I ever remember paying!

I have an '04 rubicon with the nv 3550, and after only 80K, the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are shot, and now you can hear the bearing making noise in 5th gear. I am getting ready to overhaul it but have concerns. I read in the instructions (alldatadiy.com), there are several "special tools", but I wonder if they are "mandatory" for a rebuild or just make it easier to complete. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have an '04 rubicon with the nv 3550, and after only 80K, the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are shot, and now you can hear the bearing making noise in 5th gear. I am getting ready to overhaul it but have concerns. I read in the instructions (alldatadiy.com), there are several "special tools", but I wonder if they are "mandatory" for a rebuild or just make it easier to complete. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I'm about to find out on my AX 15 tomorrow when I hike it over to my buddy's house in the bed of my pickup; along with my 12 ton press which I guess is a necessity when redoing one of these; this will be my 1st manual transmission overhaul. this buddy of mine, he's a mopar dealer transmission guy. has been 20 years.

if it helps, we got the AX 15 apart tonite and it was in your face obvious, the 2 synchros that were so badly worn out.... got everything pressed apart from teh output shaft and pressed back together; so far it is going better than expected and cheaper than a used junkyard trans (especially since those seem to be made from unobtanium) if I can find the "bigger" 5 speed that supposedly is a bolt in swap I may and keep it around as a spare.

Unobtanium....Haha...I like it. I've never heard that one before.

well the rebuilt AX 15 is night and day; I have owned this TJ 11 years now and I never remember it shifting this easy;
I took the opportunity to put in a new clutch while it was apart; I aint so sure I like my new Centerforce yet.... gonna take some gettin used to, it is definitely "lighter" on the left leg than the stocker! I had the original one go out @ 60K the fork busted at the pivot and wore nearly in two, as well as wearing damnnear through the pressure plate at the same time where the fork rested on it; I have never seen anything like that; the disc was in great shape then, but it got changed; I put an OE clutch in from Car Quest at that time, and the 2nd clutch had 50K, had some life left for sure, but I won't pull a manual trans for anything, without also putting a new clutch in before the trans goes back in, while I have everything apart! TJ has 110K on it, I bought it in Y-2-K when it had only 19K miles on it; it just came in off an expired lease. It remains the closest thing to new I ever had, more expensive at the time than all the other vehicles I have owned combined, especially including 5 years of interest to the bank! I will never again buy anything expensive enough to cost me 5 years of payments! so I will never sell this Jeep, I will run it into the ground!

My 6 speed is sitting in pieces at the tech college while I wait for parts. The shift fork is over 4 hundred new. Damn little nylon pieces are not replaceable. Gotta do the whole assembly.

Back