Trying to fab speakers for inside wind jammer

ArmyDiver

So I put in the wind jammer and now the factory speakers are outside of the cab of the jeep on the other side of the wind jammer. I want to fab my own speaker boxes and I'm curious if anyone has done this before in the location I am trying. Any advice would be great and pictures would be even better. Thanks in advance guys

Put the stock speakers on the inside. I think once I heard of a guy that took a TJ speaker bar and put it on the front bars.

As former Audio Manager for Sony, let me offer some advice here... First off, the factory speaker location on a Jeep are horrible. Same goes for the size of cone used.

If you are going trough the trouble of relocating speakers, I would go a bit further and install some ModPods under the doors and some sound wedges between the roll bar and the rear fender (I did both on my YJ). Even though this is still not a perfect location for the speakers, the sound will be much better, and you will get deeper bases as a result of the larger cones (of course, in my case I have a 12" SW in the back, so I get even more base). Just be sure to use polypropilane (sp?) speakers so as to not damage them if they get wet.

Installing these is pretty simple (you should be able to do the whole shabang in one morning), and you can take advantage to use a better wiring as well to avoid any interferance coming out of your speakers.

Here are some pics of how the speakers look on these pods/wedges (this is on a YJ, mind you, but they also work for TJ's):

DSC00174-1.jpg

DSC02250-1.jpg

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth...

I have seen the pods or the front,I always thought they would get kicked around.I never seen the ones for the back.Are the back a 6x9 with a cup holder?

Yes, the rear are 6X9 with a cup holder (to be hones, the cup holder is not that useful, as the size is too big for most cups). The front I also thought would get kicked a lot, but they actually dont. I have had mine on the front for the past 4 years, and I think I have kicked them only once. You can get both from either 4wd.com, quadratec or crutchfield.

i had a tj aftermarket sound bar and it was in front so i flipped it to the rear so flipping it should work i hope.

On another forum site there are a few write ups of people flipping the pods to the inside of the bar (aka inside windjammer).

So I can be done.

Thanks for all the help and ideas, I was going to weld up some type of custom sound bad and put in lights and speakers but I think I might just try to flip the pods around and look into the speakers for under the door well. If the pods don't work I am going to just buy the sound bar from the websites you guys posted and put it inside the wind jammer. Thanks again guys

Back