Tune Up

bobntab

well after much work...the doors are off

Ok, I would like to get a really good tune up done on my beast. I have 95000 miles on it and want to really give it the works. What should i be looking to spend and what should i make sure gets done? I am looking for anything here to make her run 4 ever :) I also live in southern CA between San Diego and Irvine is there a place that I should go?

Thanks Guys
Bobby

93 Wrangler
6" inch lift
33" Pro Comp Muds
Custom exhaust
4.56 Gears w/ limited slip F/R

expect to spend about 30-40 bucks on a decent ignition tune up

Escondito, Romona, Black Canyon area. Not advised if you hate snakes. For a day trip. Hiking upstream from the campgrounds, used to be, pretty nice.
Don´t know, about the autoparts suppliers,but most Jeeps, seem to work best with OEM plugs and wires. Computer seems a little choosey about what it, will function with, the best.
The distributor cap, often seems a little corroded.

I plan on doing mine at 100K...I am also interested in what yall think should be changed, I know all the plugs and filters, plan on flushing everything also...what else?? oh yeah 95 4cyl.

Plugs wires cap and button. Go ahead and so the filters air gas ect.. That is about the extent of it I guess. May want to look into diff transmission and transfer case fluid change outs, Even with that just get in there and do it your self! Dont need no garage for that stuff. Tug

I check all the plastic and rubber lines and hoses on my motors, top and bottom (take your time) use a flashlight. Always find a rub spot or two where it´s rubbed almost through. Or a rotten spot on the rubber hoses.
Crawl around underneath and look at all the wires, gas lines, vent tubes and such. Most always find something rubbing. Check your front driveshaft U-joints (if you have them), rarley gets greased, many models require a special grease gun end.
I buy a can of spray grease and grease everything that moves, linkages, hindges anything I can find.
While I´m under there, like Tug said, check all your oils, diff´s, transfer. I usually change the differential/transfer oils on a major service. Also look for mud traps, places where the mud collects and sticks, sometimes takes a screw driver to get it out. Little corners and crevices. Where the mud collects, is often the first places to start rusting.
Usually take a close look at all U-joints for play, sometimes hard to see. Change them out if there is any play at all (like thousandths of an inch). Won´t last long, when water gets in there and they usually crap out, on vacation or in a snow storm.

Back