Turbo 2.5L Wrangler?

By the way, and just out of curiosity, for offroading, wouldn't a supercharger be better than a turbocharger? I mean, the supercharger will also feed off the engine, but it being belt driven, it could be adjusted to provide 4 or 5 PSI of boost at low RPM's, thus creating more torque... A turbocharger, being powered by the ehaust would tend to increase power at higher RPM ranges, where we rarely have need for more power (ecept on highways and such)...

What are your opinions on the matter?

Felipe

My opinion is that there is no replacement for displacement. If you want more power then start with a better platform such as a 4.0 or V8 swap.

No, you are right about no replacement for displacement. My 4 banger does everything I could ever ask it to do though. That being said, I have a built 302 sitting in the shop waiting to go in a Jeep I've had in the works for like two years now? I just haven't had the time to get anything done on it. I'm thinking about just selling the engine and buying a SBC set up

Honestly speaking, I know you cannot replace displacement, but displacement also increases weight. In my case, I would prefer a supercharger to bring the torque to the I6 level, and keep the weight down. Except for the cost of the supercharger, I really think they are interesting options...

Felipe

Haha.. no... I didn't take my "read the details of the thread before you open your mouth" pill today... It wouldn't be worth stroking a 2.5, because you'd probably have to end up paying thousands of dollars to have a custom crank made.

Hello could you please send me the .pdf file. I think this might be interesting because i love the light weight of the 4 banger. but with 35" tires its lagging on the highway. thank you

More than that PDF file (which is not a clear cut instruction, I might add), I suggest you drop by 4bangerjp.com and take a look at the turbo threads there. A couple of regular members have turbo setups in different Jeeps (YJ and TJ are different because of the fuel return line and a couple other minor things, making a turbo install different) and they can not only share with you what they did, but also guide you as to what they think should be improved. You will also see different approaches to the same concept, and you can take what you like from each.

Can I please get that PDF aswell ? I have a 97 TJ with NO AC, a new Jasper 2.5L, newly rebuilt automatic. I could use a bit more power (they wanted $5500 to put a V8 in my TJ, or else I would have done that. My email is...they wouldn't let me post it!!
-Thanks, Jim

As far as a turbo would the turbo work out of the dodge neon srt4.I know the engine is a 2.5l and made by Chrysler.May be a cheap way to get all the parts you need if you can find one that was wrecked.Something to look into if your interested in a turbo.I would rather a supercharger.

Can I please get that PDF aswell ? I have a 97 TJ with NO AC, a new Jasper 2.5L, newly rebuilt automatic. I could use a bit more power (they wanted $5500 to put a V8 in my TJ, or else I would have done that. My email is...they wouldn't let me post it!!
-Thanks, Jim

I ca do a bit better than a PDF; head over to www.4bangerjp.com and look at the turbo build treads there. These are more complete than the PDF, and you will read about what works and what does not (all the testing done) and you can even contact the guys who have actually done this directly, as there are two that post regularly. You will also find some other options to Turbo, like a higher compression 2.5L, etc....

As far as a turbo would the turbo work out of the dodge neon srt4.I know the engine is a 2.5l and made by Chrysler.May be a cheap way to get all the parts you need if you can find one that was wrecked.Something to look into if your interested in a turbo.I would rather a supercharger.

I think you can use the turbo, but you will still need to fabricate a lot of things to put it on. Again, check the website above...

Corrupt,
Just put an SBC in it. You know that is what you want anyway.

I wanted to do that to my 93; but I would never run a SB Chevy; My SBC would be in the form of a 273-318-340-360! Smallblock Chrysler! But for now I like the 4.0's in my 97 and in my 01 XJ too.
That said I remember a TJ on Ebay a couple years ago from Colorado; it was a 4.0 with some sort of a turbo setup done to it.

I wanted to do that to my 93; but I would never run a SB Chevy; My SBC would be in the form of a 273-318-340-360! Smallblock Chrysler! But for now I like the 4.0's in my 97 and in my 01 XJ too.
That said I remember a TJ on Ebay a couple years ago from Colorado; it was a 4.0 with some sort of a turbo setup done to it.

There was a TJ with a viper engine on eBay some months ago... That would be a killer wrangler!

ive played with turbos on 4 cyclinder road cars as they are common in europe. the turbo has some good points like
1/ doesnt require hp to drive it and it can reduce the noise level to a point where you can upgrade the mufflers with out getting a headache.
2/ lag is based on how much boost at what rpm's so you can make a turbo that spools at 1000rpm and maxs out at 3500rpm or you can add 2 turbos and have the second spool at 3000rpm so there is no real lag.
3/ volvo used a heat exchanger that was water cooled so thats a option to reduce space so they are easy to install.

but....always a but...lol

turbos glow red hot at night you can look under the hood after a hard run and they realy glow....what would happen if you put that under water?

A couple of fellow 4-bangers over at www.4bangerjp.com have turboed their 4 squirrels, and have not reported any major issues (TJ and YJ's). Another built his engine for a bit more compression, and he is getting numbers close to what the I6 puts out. And another is making his own SC (his workmanship is outstanding, by the way!).

Back