Two (2) issues that seem to have anecdotal responses.

TWDJ

I've been lurking around off-road forums for the last few years and have seen a HUGE number of newby, noob, new guy type posts. Personally, I like to research A LOT before posting so there is at least a minimum of understanding before asking a question. There is so much available wisdom and experience it is rare for me to post a question. My thought is if you don't understand the question, you don't tend to understand the answer, right? So here are my questions ...

1 - As soon as the topic of wheel spacers come up there are typically a few "you'll wear out your bearings" responses or someone knew someone who knew someone that had a bolt break, spacer crack, etc. No doubt this is true but we all know someone who snapped off a bolt, broke an axle, bent a wheel, blew out a u-joint ... and these, often times, have been quality products.

From where I sit, a wheel with less back spacing will place that wheel's centerline further out from the wheel bearing same as a wheel spacer. So, what is the difference between a quality built wheel with less backspacing and a properly manufactured wheel spacer?

2 - Same argument typically tends to follow lifting blocks for leaf springs. "You'll wear out your springs faster." Why? If the contact area of the spacer is the same as the axle perch and spring pad then why would the spring wear out faster?

Not trying to start a s**t storm, just trying to understand. THANKS!!

I've been lurking around off-road forums for the last few years and have seen a HUGE number of newby, noob, new guy type posts. Personally, I like to research A LOT before posting so there is at least a minimum of understanding before asking a question. There is so much available wisdom and experience it is rare for me to post a question. My thought is if you don't understand the question, you don't tend to understand the answer, right? So here are my questions ...

Everyone is, to use your words, a "newby" or "noob" or "new guy" at some time. I'm a newby to Jeepz.com (but not a newby to Jeeping).

I'm skeptical of posters that: 1) knock questions and comments submitted by those trying to learn; and 2) have hundreds or thousands of posts. Here's why.

Issue 1.
The Jeeping Community is enhanced by people taking up the hobby:welcome:. With more people Jeeping, we have more people able to speak out and help protect and keep lands open to our hobby and sport. More people coming in means more market opportunity for offroad manufacturers and stores, which makes more and better equipment available to us all and at better prices. Posts from folks just starting out allow veterans of the hobby a chance to reflect back to when they had the same question themself:redface:, and gives the veterans an opportunity to share their wisdom IF they chose to post a reply.

Issue 2.
Some folks post so much I wonder just how much Jeeping they really do!:???: My observation has been that some of the compulsive posters give cookie cutter commentary and advice that appears to come primarily from web searches and not from actual field experience (that's not always bad, but it should be divulged) since they spend so much time posting and not 4wheeling. And when these superposters knock the new guy, it makes me want to puke:cry:. Who do these superposters think reads all of their posts?:?: I doubt the true veterans of Jeeping either read them or learn anything from them, so their audience is probably a lot of newer folks looking to learn.

Issue 1 and Issue 2 Exceptions.
Yep, there are exceptions for both Issue 1 and Issue 2.

Jeepergeo: An unexpected response but one I am pleading guilty to.

After re-reading my post it did sound a bit like I was knocking folks who are new and venturing into this hobby ... which certainly was NOT my intent. I'm a big believer in teaching, mentoring, and coming up along side anyone who has a desire to learn (not be told!) an answer. I have much experience in so many areas yet find myself UNBELIEVABLY ignorant in others.

Jeepergeo: An unexpected response but one I am pleading guilty to.

After re-reading my post it did sound a bit like I was knocking folks who are new and venturing into this hobby ... which certainly was NOT my intent. I'm a big believer in teaching, mentoring, and coming up along side anyone who has a desire to learn (not be told!) an answer. I have much experience in so many areas yet find myself UNBELIEVABLY ignorant in others.
1) Wheel spacers are ok i run em but they have some issues when i first bought mine i threw em on proper torque started driving ten miles down the road i started to get a popping noise and a vibration pulled over and they were loose so you have to use lock tite but if you wanna deal with that there is no big issue on wheel backspace and wheel spacer they both put the wheel farther away from control arms and other components.
2) Blocks do cause axle wrap yes it is the same amount touching as on the axle but now you have given the axle leverage on the leaf spring so no when you hit the gas when the driveshaft/pinion spins the ring/differencial its going to want to start turning the axle housing because it has now more leverage so now when driving down the road its going to twist and untwist causing axle wrap which is bad on many components. Here is a link that kinda helps a lil more

Jeepkid46: Isn't YouTube a great tool for questions like this? THANKS for the link.

Locktite sounds like a great idea ... and will be executed this weekend.

TWDJ said:
Jeepkid46: Isn't YouTube a great tool for questions like this? THANKS for the link.

Locktite sounds like a great idea ... and will be executed this weekend.

You already have spacers? And what have you decided bout blocks

Jeepkid46: What I have found recently is I had been using some incorrect terminology as far as the spacers go. They are actually "adapters" with their own lugs and lug nuts.

The bolt pattern was not changed by the "adapter" as I like the factory aluminum wheels and they work well with the 30x9.5 tires, but rub the LCA on full lock. That was what I was wanting to get away from.

As far as the blocks are concerned, NOT going that way! Found a website where a leaf spring pack was made up using current rear springs and adding 1 or 2 long leafs from another Cherokee spring pack ... no blocks or extended shackles.

I have a personal bias against spring shackles (that I usually keep to myself as it is not based on fact) as I've seen too many "shackle only" lifts done incorrectly back in my 1/4 mile days. Though with proper leaf spring design and installation that feeling is easing as I see it done CORRECTLY time after time on well thought out off-road machines.

Last edited:

TWDJ said:
Jeepkid46: What I have found recently is I had been using some incorrect terminology as far as the spacers go. They are actually "adapters" with their own lugs and lug nuts.

The bolt pattern was not changed by the "adapter" as I like the factory aluminum wheels and they work well with the 30x9.5 tires, but rub the LCA on full lock. That was what I was wanting to get away from.

As far as the blocks are concerned, NOT going that way! Found a website where a leaf spring pack was made up using current rear springs and adding 1 or 2 long leafs from another Cherokee spring pack ... no blocks or extended shackles.

I have a personal bias against spring shackles (that I usually keep to myself as it is not based on fact) as I've seen too many "shackle only" lifts done incorrectly back in my 1/4 mile days. Though with proper leaf spring design and installation that feeling is easing as I see it done CORRECTLY time after time on well thought out off-road machines.

Spacers keep the same pattern 5 on 4.5 and adapters change the pattern how thick are they you might need a thicker spacer or backspacing

Back