Two Cherokee Questions

mujaman

i have a 97 cherokee 4.0. sunday night i was heading to a friends house in some rather nasty weather. the roads were absolutely covered in water... some places being rather deep (i live in WV and we're gettin some killer flooding and snow). i went through one large puddle of standing water rather quickly and right after i got through it my charging system warning light came on and i started losing power. my guess is that something went wrong with the alternator... but i'm not sure. i drove back home so i could check stuff out there, and everything seemed fine after i turned it off and back on again. any ideas on what the problem could have been, what could have caused it, and if anything further needs to be done? my second question is simply how to check the codes on the cherokee (mine does do it for sure... a friend showed me once i but i forget how!). i know you turn the key so many times or something like that... so if anybody knows exactly how to do it i would appreciate it. also... i found a page that had what all the trouble codes represent a while back but don't remember where that was. anybody know of a similar resource? thanks for your all's time![addsig]

I don't know the codes but they were posted here sometime back just use the search feature to the <---- right if no one comes to your rescue. As far as what happened yoiu most likely got so much water all up in your electrial stuff you caused a short. It was most likly temp and may have already fixed it'self. Check and see if it is still doing this. Best advice never run fast through standing water on raod ways durring flooding. You never know how deep or what the flood could have washed into your path under water. Luck dude tug[addsig]

Your alternator got wet, everything came back to normal as it dried.

To check the codes, hold in the trip meter button with the key off. Cycle the key to run (not start) then back to off, the code will appear in the odometer box.[addsig]

Whay probably happened is the water wet your belts enough to cause the alt belt to slip and not preform regular charge rate, I used to have this happen to a VW golf every time it rained heavy.
go slow thru puddles.[addsig]

this is a site that I used for my codes. I think it will work for other models
good luck.The alternator should be designed to be ok once they have dried out.
FATGAZZER

trouble codes[addsig]

Back