Uh....oh....!

nvmycj

Morning guys/gals!

I went to turn on my cj5 this am, but couldn't get it to turn over. It would crank, but just not start. Is it possible to try too many times to start the jeep. Now it won't even crank... HELP!!!

That sucks. It's possible you ran the battery down cranking it too much. Hook it up to a battery charger or try to jump it if you can then check and make sure it's getting fuel and fire. Is gas getting to cylinders and is spark getting to the plugs.

You could have killed the battery or starter from over cranking.

I'd probably put a battery charger on it and wait an hour or two and try again.

looks like south beat me too it.

I wouldn't worry about the starter yet. Just charge up the battery and try again in an hour.

well, it works!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! I jumped the battery and after a few cranks, it turned over. Thanks guys!

Matej

P.S.
BTW,....what's a coil? ( I told you I was a newbie!)

P.S.
BTW,....what's a coil? ( I told you I was a newbie!)

The "coil" is the thing that is about the size of a soda can on the engine with a big wire coming out of the center and two little wires on either side of the big one. It makes the high voltage spark that fires the fuel to make the engine run.

Glad to hear you got it running. I had that problem when I did an engine swap - the cure was to run a 12V line to the auto choke (which we somehow missed). Some of the simplest things can cause lots of aggravation.

The "coil" is the thing that is about the size of a soda can on the engine with a big wire coming out of the center and two little wires on either side of the big one. It makes the high voltage spark that fires the fuel to make the engine run.

Cool beans! Thanks for your help! And again,...sorry about my newbie questions.

sorry about my newbie questions.[/QUOTE]

we all start out at square one.

tweak the terminology...

"couldn't get it to turn over. It would crank, but just not start. Is it possible to try too many times to start the jeep. Now it won't even crank."

"turn over" is the same as crank... means the engine will rotate a full revolution either by hand or with the starter.

"fire" means it will explode some gas and "hit", not necessarily run.

"fire up" means it will run (doesn't specify tuning issues)

when cranking the starter for prolonged periods of time, the big amps heat the internal windings and it can burn the coating off and fail...which is why the books will say don't crank for more than X seconds at a time...then wait X minutes before trying again.

a lot of times, the connections get cruddy over time and won't pass the big amps... this can act like a low battery and shows up as heat at the connection.

Back