unit bearing removal

jakec

dois anyone have a suggestion for removing the front unit bearings on a 1988 yj? i broke the long side axle shaft (or something on that side anyways) and ive already broke a 2 and 3 jaw puller and put heat to it with a cutting torch. i guess im gonna have to get serious on it dang that things in there!

Back the three 13mm bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle out about 1/8", then place a socket over the head of the bolt. Tap the head of each bolt until it's flush with the knuckle. Then repeat. This should work the knuckle loose.

i just got the unit bearings off finally. i did what you said bounty hunter and it worked great. i had to use a 3 lb hammer and it messed up the bolt but i have a few spares so no big deal. the axles are fine and the shift collar, i pulled the diff cover and it all looks good too. im taking the short side axle out tomorrow but i dont think its messed up either. im wondering if the coupler wasnt sliding over enough to catch both axles, im going to do like you said and swap the fork to where its always locked in. thanks for the help bounty hunter.

Back